No announcement yet.

Founding multiple religions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find that working on anything more than 3 religions is productive suicide. Help your finances and culture? Perhaps, but you'll never be doing anything but building temples, monasteries and missionaries.

The only tricky part about "settling" for one or two religions is that means that the other 5 are spread out among the other AI nations, who will ultimately hate you for being different. Evangelism is a very expensive practice in this game.

Comment

Of course, founding a religion doesn't necessarily mean you need to spread it. If you found two but only feel like spreading one of them, it is still to your benefit as you can deny an enemy gaining gold per city for that religion, even if you don't benefit from it yourself. You can also use the great profit for another purpose rather than building a shrine.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

^^ That's what I was going to add ^^

The point of founding all 7 religions is that NO ONE ELSE can found them!! The only thing better than 7 temples and 7 cathedrals in all your cities is ONE or max TWO in all of their cities.
        Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

Also, founding multiple religions increases the life span in which great prophets are useful.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mujadaddy
            ^^ That's what I was going to add ^^

The point of founding all 7 religions is that NO ONE ELSE can found them!! The only thing better than 7 temples and 7 cathedrals in all your cities is ONE or max TWO in all of their cities.
            i founded all the religions in a game as india the other day, and then only spread the my primary. a two city nation of persia managed to get a different one through trade, but was promptly wiped out by saladin's jihad/crusade.

Was hoping I could convince everyone to get along, but even though none of them were at war they still considered eachother great enemies and were fconsntly whining about my trade routes.

One interesting thing was that Egypt went Theocracy before i Could spread my religion to their cities, which left them a theocratic civ with no religion. Seems kind of strange.
            By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Well, not sure if it was a bug or feature, but here goes...
              Early on a Terra map as Ghandi (Large, Noble), I managed to found all three starting religions, with Judaism catching with all my neighbors except Monty to the east. In may far East expansion city, right up against Monty's territory, Confuscionism is founded and the next turn spreads to 3(!) of his heathen cities, and he quickly converts. Several turns after that, the city is jumped by barbarian axemen and wasn't sacked...was kept alive instead, fair enough.

The next turn, Monty swoops in to (what I thought) save his holy city from barbarian domination...but he captures it and BURNS his own holy city to the ground! Shouldn't there be a check for this in the AI coding?

On another game as Napolean, I missed hindu but managed to nail down Buddhism, Judaism, Confuscionism, and Islam, and spread Buddhism to 7 of the 9 other nations. The Japs settled a wedge line right down the middle of my territory and the Aztecs made a crescent along the NE...but both were Buddhist so I thought I was safe. Not so, about 1400 or so, BOTH declare war on me, even though I was +14/-1 dip with Monty and +9/-3 dip with Tokugawa. They just didn't happen to have any enemies in the vicinity and thought I would be a good target...well, they were right, 6 cities gone in 4 turns as two nations that had never been at war threw every troop they had ever built at me. Guess I'm gonna reload back a few turns and see if I can bribe them to attack each other instead.

Lesson #347: Same religion doesn't save you from idiot warmongers.
              Last edited by PolecatEZ; November 28, 2005, 05:10.

Comment

Originally posted by PolecatEZ
                .... BOTH declare war on me, even though I was +14/-1 dip with Monty and +9/-3 dip with Tokugawa.
                Lesson #347: Same religion doesn't save you from idiot warmongers.
                I expect a larger military is the only thing that keeps the likes of Monty away. +14 and he attacks - sheesh!

Comment

Working...
                X