Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear AI : "Pillage" is not a toy :(

*sigh*

Quick backstory : I'm trying to get a cultural victory on Standard, Pangea, Noble, 10 Civs. Late 1940's, the silly Greeks decide to declare war on me (No idea why -- I was most powerful, most advanced, and giving them 'bookoo' tribute to maintain a 'Cautious' -- but that's another post).

While I assimilated their western cities into the Roman Empire, I get China to their east and Germany to their south to join me in the hopes they'll take some of the heat off. Ten turns later, having taken Sparta, Corinth, and Pharsalos, I send a Marine over to Athens to have a look see at how China is faring there.

When I was first scouting my path o' destruction, I noticed Athens had 5 Inf and a SAM at 80%. Not much has changed, and nothing really for the better. A couple of times I sent extra bombers over to hit the walls in ones and twos -- I got it down to 54% at one point -- but as of 1952 it was back up to 60% and there's even another Inf there, though at 1/2 strength. I find that China, and Germany but not so much, have pillaged most every single square within sighting distance of Athens but made not discernable effort to actually try and take the city.

I can understand pillaging strategic resources, and too breaking up Greece's trade network, but this level of pillaging is just ridiculous. Why is the AI so bad at waging war against the AI? They come after me with nice big stacks, head straight for my cities, and break wave upon wave of decent troops upon my defenders. Yet it seems that all the AI really do to each other is flail ineffectively, sending units in ones and twos to do no real damage.

I ended up taking Athens in two turns with six bombers, some lvl 2 and 3 tanks, and two marines, losing one bomber to AA and one of the tanks; slightly more difficult than the provinces, but not too much. I was left at a total loss as to whether there's really any benefit to getting allies to join in, especially since I doubt Greece could have swayed any of them to their side.

Are other people making similar observations of AI vs AI conflicts? Anyone playing higher levels noticed a discernable difference, either in AI vs AI warfare or in the use of AI allies? One thing I really enjoyed about Civ3 was the diplomatic wrangling necessary to win a late-era war and I'm hoping that it's just my playing at semi-easy levels that's kept me from experiencing that part of the game.
    For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Apparently Germany and China were not prepared to go to war, so they fought a pillage war instead of attempting conquest. The AI will adapt its tactics based on what it has available - if it doesn't have the units to take a city, it will pillage.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I have noticed a similar thing. I let 2 advanced countries declare war on each other. They had a long mutual border so I hoped there is lots of room where they can play, giving me time to catch up. At the same time I ran around with my spies sabotaging strategic tiles of the person i thought was getting the upper hand in the battle (to keep the balance). Anyways at one point I noticed they were just sparring.. no real fight going on. Most of the action involved sending outdated units to pillage improvements while the modern ones stayed in defence. I was really dissapointed. Won by spacerace later on.

Comment

I also have noticed this. As Germany, I stood by and watched France and England fight each other. However, after 100 years or so of fighting, not one city was taken by the other civ. Finally, I sided with England and took one of France's city. (Tours). After I took the first city, the English then took 3 more French cities. I thought this was weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphard
          Anyways at one point I noticed they were just sparring.. no real fight going on. Most of the action involved sending outdated units to pillage improvements while the modern ones stayed in defence.
          Yes! I hate this! This is why I don't like war in Civ4!

I want big bloody battles in the open fields! I want to see the sun shining off the armour of the fallen, and the fields to turn red with spilled blood! I don't want pansy AIs to hoard all their units in their cities with +2 million % defensive bonus!
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The AIs go for cities if they feel they have the troops to take it. If not, they'll pillage as much as they can.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Try using the aggresive AI option
              The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

I personally think the pillaging sucks. It breaks up the AI's stacks and allows individual units to be countered. If they actually focused entirely on TAKING CITIES they might actually be able to take them!

Pillaging = losing units = no increase in force size.

What's that quote, Military Tradition:
                "Victorious Warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war then seek to win."

Comment

I had an experience similar to Yaga's not so much in the pillaging, but in the bottom ranked civ declaring war on me as the top ranked civ....then trying to send 3 cavalry to try and pillage...

Why would a bottom ranked civ ever trip some sort of AI flag to declare war on the world leader?

weird.

Comment

You mean like Afghanistan and the USA?
                    be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                      That's not exactly a valid comparison.

/ Per

Comment

Afghanistan did not declare war on the USA ... it was the other way around

Comment

Sure send terrorists to blow up my villages because you hate my imperialistic world policy and consider me an infidel, but when we were a turn before good friends with open borders and now you send your 'standing army' at me???

Sorry not like Afghanistan and the USA

Comment

I love pillaging It's usefull if you want to put a civ on its knees without making a single unit-attack... last night Louis XIV decided, after ages of "I don't like you and you don't like me", to declare war on me. The wrong choise since I'm more advanced But he's on the other side of the map, a huge 2 continent map, and I don't want to lose some turns creating 4 or 5 transporters to move my army to him... so I've just sent 3 carrier full of fighters... and I've completely razed every single tile with bonus improvements... not every single tile, just the improvement on bonus... plantation on spices, pastures on horses and cows, mines on iron and uranium... So that I've cut down all his trade with other civs (no bonus = no trade opportunity) and all his income... and after 5 turns every french city was un-happy and un-health

I love pillaging, but it has to be done correctly
                            HTTP Error 404 - File or Directory not found
                            Internet Information Services (IIS)

Comment

Oh yeah... real mature Roosey, you sure showed those poor medieval Incans. Yep, ripping up ALL his terraforming was a real piece of tatical genius. I just have one question...
                              WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE HIS ****ING CITIES WITH YOUR TANKS, BOMBERS AND GUNSHIPS.

Yup. Time for my daily AI pillaging rant, a rant a day keeps the doctor away.

The more I play the more the AI pillaging gets on my nerves. It almost trivializes defending. Atleast I've discovered the use for workshops (for non-locusts), I workshop all my border territory outside of city radius. Then when I hear that my workshops are being ripped up I know to send out some cleanup forces.

Dear AI,
                              You are playing a Civlization, not a bunch of Barbarians. The distinction is that Civilizations act well.. civilised, when they go to war they go to war with purpose. Such as to take resources, or cities.
                              In contrast Barbarians just want to rip stuff up then die horribly as they are angry little malcontents.

Comment

Working...
                              X