Occupied city assimilation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupied city assimilation?

Does anyone know how assimilating an occupied city works? I've been in a few bad cases where I take over a city and a 3rd party's borders envelop the captured city, the city revolts, and it joins the 3rd party's Civ. Really annoying. I'd like to know how how assimilation works exactly so I can best avoid this issue, and potentially change it in a mod.

Also, does the same kind of assimilation occur in non-occupied cities? If, my city was of a fairly low nationality because of a nearby city and that city were to, be, say, wiped off the map, would I still be that nationality mix and have to assimilate it the foreign population? Does this assimilation occur while a city is still under the effects of a nearby civ?
    Mylon Mod - Adressing game pace and making big cities bigger.
    Inquisition Mod - Exterminating heretic religions since 1200 AD

If you conquer a city that has been there for a while it has some very heavy culture. THe city next to it probably as well. So, if you capture it, the culture goes to 0 and you have a big chance of your city being swallowed by the neighbour, because the culture of that city isn't pushed back anymore.

I think the culture part makes the population change, which makes revolution happen and ultimately a flip.

It's something to watch out for when going to war. Yesterday I captured a city that went after about 30 turns to my other neighbour.

Comment

I usually switch to slavery and whip up some theatres and temples with the population. Most of the pop won't be useful anyway with all the unhappiness, and it allows you to speed up culture production. And then if they do flip, they'll be worthless without a long time of growing (I usually take them for the nice location, not the pop).
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

If you can adjust your culture output as well, if you are concerned about this and can accept a slowdown in science advancement, going to 100% culture with 0% science, it will help keep the new city from flipping.

Comment

Re: Occupied city assimilation?

Originally posted by Mylon
          Does anyone know how assimilating an occupied city works? ...
          RAZE, RAZE, RAZE!

Seriously, I think you have to build as many culture producing buildings as you can, as quickly as you can, once the city comes out of the initial revolt period. So you need to buy them, or whip them, as was mentioned above.

Unless you've seen a city flip *before* the revolting ended?

Comment

Working...
          X