The resource trades are broken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The resource trades are broken!

You know you can trade your resourse even if you have only one sourse for it. Now presumably the AI mustn't want to trade resourses which you don't have spare sources... but it is not true. I had 2 sources of silver and without knowing I traded both of them (thinking the AI will not ask them if they are not double etc).
    So I started to renegotiate every deal just to be sure - and the AI quite often keeps in red rerourses it wanted to trade itself.
    So either the AI must not try to trade my single resourse or it must agree to trade what it wanted to trade.

I agree, it's quite annoying when they ask for such a deal, and you have no chance to see how many of those resources you have left. And often you can't say no, go back to check, and the ask if the deal is ok, because often it's set as an untradeable resource, even though he just wanted to trade it
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Err, the amount of resources you have at disposal is written in the diplo screen. It's (in brackets) right next to the name of the resource.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

If you click "Care to negotiate?" and then remove your resource from the deal, you can see how many you have. Then you can add yours back in and complete the trade. Just don't remove the AI's resource from the trade table.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
          If you click "Care to negotiate?" and then remove your resource from the deal, you can see how many you have. Then you can add yours back in and complete the trade. Just don't remove the AI's resource from the trade table.
          When I tried it last I accidently removed his resource, which (for some reason?) made the deal unavaliable

But the point is still that it shouldn't even consider such deals, there's no way I would consider to trade my only pig for his cow... why would I have to check each deal if it's ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
            But the point is still that it shouldn't even consider such deals, there's no way I would consider to trade my only pig for his cow... why would I have to check each deal if it's ok?
            Why not? Let's say you have other food resources, but just one pig. Why not trade that for a cow that gives you a production bonus?
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Ehmmm...? Doesn't the production bonus only apply if you actually work on the tile, instead of giving a production bonus for all cities?

Comment

Hmmm, possibly, now that you mention it. I'm not sure what exactly you get from trading non-strategic resources. Still, it does improve relations!
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I'd be rather annoyed if I couldn't trade my one "X" for stone, or marble, or horses, or whatever else I'm lacking. And a lot of times, I'll trade my one "X" knowing that I've got another plot with it that I'm going to be developing soon.

Of course, I did make a mod so that the resources tab in the foreign advisors screen only shows dupes. Hmm. It should be possible to show the number of "X" you have when they request a trade.

I'll look into it at some point.

Bh

Comment

its a bug i guess
                    you just have to stay alert to what you have to trade and what you dont

Comment

It's not a bug. There's a multitude of situations where you might want to trade away your only copy of a resource. Just pay attention to the number beside the resource - that's why it's there.
                      Friedrich Psitalon
                      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Originally posted by Bhruic
                        I'd be rather annoyed if I couldn't trade my one "X" for stone, or marble, or horses, or whatever else I'm lacking. And a lot of times, I'll trade my one "X" knowing that I've got another plot with it that I'm going to be developing soon.
                        Of course it should still be possible, but the AI should not ask for it, unless there's a clear warning label on it

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                          Hmmm, possibly, now that you mention it. I'm not sure what exactly you get from trading non-strategic resources. Still, it does improve relations!
                          Each different food source a city gets increases the health of the city by 1 (some buildings increase this to 2 for certain things, like the grocer for cows). So if you are getting the green unhappy face (unhealthy), then you can up the number of food types your civ has to fix it. Unhealthiness causes food to be wasted (1 food per point you lack in health).

Similarly, happiness producing resources only work in terms of the variety you have. If you have 6 silver, that just makes 1 person happy in each city (it does affect all cities though, unlike Civ III). If you have 1 silver, 1 spice, 1 fur, 1 dye, 1 wine, and 1 gold then you have 6 more points of happiness in each city.

It's all about variety.

-Drachasor
                          "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

I would be more than willing to trade my one pig resource for anothers one of a mutitude of cows, for example. I would prefer to offer it for a wheat/corn/rice resource though, as I can improve the health of my cities that have granaries, even though I traded away one of my bonus health resources. I can also trade away the only pig for the improved AI relations, as it won't hurt cities at all, and I gain from it.

It is actually a no-brainer in those sort of situations.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                              Ah, yes! This is workaround!
                              But nevertheless we shouldn't need workarounds

Comment

Working...
                              X