Another nVidia success story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another nVidia success story

I have a GeForce 5600FX card and had been experiencing graphical sluggishness and CTD's on larger map sizes since the beginning. Following the directions for installation, I installed the latest nVidia drivers prior to ever playing CivIV, which were the 81.85 drivers. I was very upset when the crashes began frustrating my play once into the middle eras, even though everything else was perfect.

On another thread, it was recommended to rollback to the 71.89 GeForce drivers, but I hesitated b/c I didn't believe it would make a difference and that the patch would fix the issue anyway. But in the middle of a Large Terra map game, I began the familiar pattern and I rolled back my drivers to 71.89. Miraculously, all sluggishness and CTD's disappeared, and the game runs like butter on the highest graphic settings and with Large Terra maps through the end of the game.

This doesn't address all issues reported, but believe me I tried everything else and nothing helped. If your main problem with an nVidia card is as I've described, you owe yourself this fix.

P4 2.66ghz
    GeForce 5600FX 256mb
    1gb RAM
    SB Audigy 2

You only need video drivers that mainly are for your card, and that is all. I am using 78.01 drivers yet, but I may try the 71.89 drivers as sometiimes certain issues are fixed for some games, and sometimes it is the game that is buggy. In this case, perhaps, those drivers were fixed from a previous version that were in the Drivers theirselves.

Sometimes that happens.
    Think I will download them now!
    But I have not had any Crashes to Desktop, just slowdown, and that may be just the computer being slow perhaps. Hard to say with all the stuff nowadays that perhaps work, and perhaps not -- with anything that is bought!

Comment

Working...
    X