Three different types of crashes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three different types of crashes.

I have pretty much worked out that there are three different kinds of crashes I see.

1. Crash-on-action. These are UI crashes. They happen as you click a button; it can be any button, but especially worker orders, or commanding a missionary to spread religion. Automated workers never trigger these. In this case, the game just quits. It's really not crashing; it's just exiting quickly. Desktop will not be corrupt or anything; the game just exited very fast. These are very strongly correlated with maps that wrap at the edges; I've got a game where my civ has something like 80 cities (no ICS; most of these cities have population over 17 and they're spread out all over a huge map) where I don't think I've seen it even once, but with a map that wrapped on both X and Y, I saw it constantly -- several times a turn, and some commands simply couldn't ever be given.
    2. "bare map" crash. I get these occasionally. The symptom is that the display suddenly goes to a bare map grid - no units or buildings, and flat on the screen rather than at an angle, but zoomed in further than the normal flat map. After a few seconds, back to desktop, possibly with some graphical corruption.
    3. Crash to desktop with graphical corruption. Game suddenly dies leaving garbage scribbled all over the display. Windows doesn't know that there's a need to redraw the display, so you just have static on screen, but moving windows around fixes it. This seems to mostly come from scrolling around; especially from clicking on the minimap a lot or dragging the window around.

I think the third is probably a driver bug, because it comes and goes depending on driver versions. The second may be too. The first seems to be a game logic bug.

there is a 4th type of crash:

4. Random Reboot. The game reboots your system without any warning or error message.

Comment

I am pretty sure that the reboots are a variant on the driver bugs. Civ4 doesn't have sufficient access to reboot a system, but drivers do. FWIW, I've had dozens of crashes and never once had the machine reboot.

Comment

Working...
      X