Two Myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Myths

I've played a lot of test games at Monarch, and a few "for real", and I've come to the conclusion that two claims frequently made here are myths.

One, that it is consistently possible at Monarch and above to get four solid core cities. It just ain't happening, even with chopping. Three is the best that is possible on any regular basis.

Two, that it is possible to get really large empires of 20-30 cities. Given how hard it is to take and hold even one city at this level, I don't believe this sort of claim when I read it.

Indeed, on a duel map this ain't possible. Maybe you should try a bigger map size or precise the map size you play?
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Standard map size.

Comment

Both myths are in fact true. The second is much harder than the first though, as it would generally involve a lot of warfare on a standard map. Remember civics can help.

The first is very easy, unless you happen to start very close to 2 civs.

Comment

I'd have to agree with them being myths.

Your first few cities would generally dictate which ones are going to be your core cities, since they'll most likely have the most wonders/buildings/improvements, along with well-developed towns.

If you capture another Civ's capital, though, that's another thing altogether!

Plus, there's absolutely no point to having 20-30 cities. Considering you can get up to the point where you can be churning out units at one turn each in your core cities without hurrying, your other cities would basically be satellites that do minor contributions. Like the manual says, having more cities in this game is a huge disadvantage once the maintenance costs come rolling in (even with State Property, my favorite civic). At most they'd be rest points for your army during an invasion.

Comment

I learned that (in CivIII) when something lik that was seemingly impossible to me, it only meant I had not learned enough.

Eventually I learned to do all the things I thought could not be done.

Right now of lot of them look real hard to me in IV, but I expect to get some more knowledge and guidance and finally do them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
              I learned that (in CivIII) when something lik that was seemingly impossible to me, it only meant I had not learned enough.

Right now of lot of them look real hard to me in IV, but I expect to get some more knowledge and guidance and finally do them as well.
              I was about to say just about the same thing, thanks for saying it better than I would have! I fully agree!
              Siga El Conejo Blanco
              Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
              | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

Nicely put. I don't understand people saying something is impossible just because they weren't able to do it.

Comment

Working...
                X