Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't understand how "epic" game works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand how "epic" game works...

Now it must be longer and it this means it must allow more turns to be played. But it has the same number of turns - the game starts with 40 years/turn while need 50% more turn to research and (it seems so - I may be wrong) 50% more turns to build. So where is the longer game then? It seems to me it is the same game as a longevity, but with slower research...
    I understand I may be wrong, so please someone who knows exactly how the epic game works to explain it.

You get more turns in epic
    It starts at 40 years/turn
    but it goes down much faster.

Also when you put on time victory and push the F8 you can see how many turns you get. Try it out and you'll see

Comment

I think epic is screwed up.

They should of increased only research, but kept build time the same.

JMO.

... oh and thats what i did in my mod. The era's are longer, you build more units, have better wars... etc..

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
        I think epic is screwed up.

They should of increased only research, but kept build time the same.

JMO.
        I agree. I checked and the number of turns is 50% more indeed, but the game often is boring because you just do nothing turn after turn.

Comment

The Tech stagnation option from SMAC is what was needed.

By effectively increasing the time it takes to build stuff on epic level, all you have a game where units move faster.

I cant believe this made it into production. Nevermind!

You can alter the research, production and everything else in one of the configuration files. Normalise everything apart from research to 100%.
          The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

This file:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml
            The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

hmm, sounds like an idea. I tried epic on huge map. cool game (I won by space race) but it was a little boring. but the normal game progresses a little too fast...
              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer
                The Tech stagnation option from SMAC is what was needed.

By effectively increasing the time it takes to build stuff on epic level, all you have a game where units move faster.

I cant believe this made it into production. Nevermind!

You can alter the research, production and everything else in one of the configuration files. Normalise everything apart from research to 100%.
                And inflation must remain unchanged or it will skyrocket through the roof.

Comment

What does inflation do?

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer
                    What does inflation do?
                    Just a money waste, marked as "inflation" in the expenses, nothing else. It is percentage from something (I don't know exactly which value is used for the calculation) . And it seems it increases with each turn, but it can be either:
                    1. The value of the whole empire increases every turn and it is persentage of the value
                    or
                    2. It increases depending on the number of the turn itself, combined with the value of the empire.

I don't know which one is true, but I doubt it depends only on the number of the turn.

Comment

Working...
                    X