Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My computer restarts when i try to load a game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer restarts when i try to load a game!

Specs

Windows XP proffesional 2002 service pack 2
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz, 512 Ram

ATI Raedon 9550 with up to date drivers.

Problem:

I had the rendering problem to start with and i have sorted that out, and it was all going really well.

I had a test game that went to about 1400 AD and then i started a new game, standard sized world with nothing particularly special, 4 civs including myself on an snakey continent world. It was going well and it was about 1900 AD and i had got to the modern era and i saved the game and when i came to load it the bar got to the end the background went black as if it were about to go into the game and then the cursor changed to the one you see in the game, and then for no reason my computer restarted!!! I tried 3 more times and the exact same thing happened, so i tried the auto saves, none of them worked for this game, so i also tried the previous game and the same thing happened.

Any ideas why this is happening? are the save files corrupted? is my computer doing something it shouldnt? any other reasons why its being like this?

I am a huge fan of the game and was really addicted to the first 3, and i had high expectations of this version, however i have to say, as amazing as this game has been there have been so many bugs and issues that i have seen or heard of!

Any ideas? Thanks!

Tom

This is occurring for many of us. I got some relief from the very latest Catalyst 5.11 CCC drivers (released at www.ati.com today).
    It's not working for everyone that has the reboot issues though.
    The official 5.11 is out: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/11/10/ati_catalyst_511/ It will be up on ATi's pages in the next 24hrs, but I get pretty decent speeds downloading from here too. Hopefully this will help for some of the problems.
    Broogan Dreadbow
    WindowsXP Pro SP2, AMD AthlonXP 2800+, ASUS A7V600, ATI Radeon 9800Pro/128, TB Santa Cruz, 3x512MB PC2700 DDR, Seagate 200GB, Maxtor 40GB

Comment

so this is a civ problem not my computer messing up?

so this is just a new driver for my graphics card? If it doesn't work does anyone know what to do?

GRR! i wish for once things didnt happen to annoy me when i have been waiting for a long time for a game like this!

Thanks for the reply!

Tom

Comment

To help find what is causing the problem, you might want to turn off the automatic reboot that Windoze XP does when older versions used to give a BSOD.

System Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->System Failure - uncheck "Automatically Restart"

Then, next time it crashes, you should at least be able to see what caused it. I'm guessing it will be ati***.dll, one of the graphics driver files, though not neccessarily due to a fault in the driver. But at least it's a pointer.

You could also look in Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer, and check the logs for any useful errors ;-)

Cambo

Comment

Working...
        X