X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get a screenshot?

Well?

Tom P.

Got it. My stupid keyboard has like 5 functions attached to the PrtScrn key.

I found the PrtScrn function.

Tom P.

Comment

If you need to take a screenshot outside of the actual game, IE of the Menu, I believe you need to use FRAPs.

FRAPs will allow you to take a screenshot anywhere, even in the main menu.

Oh, and in case you can't figure out where CIV puts the screenies, they are in My Documents\My Games\Yadda Yadda.

Dan O.

Comment

I just use Irfanview for all captures, no fuss. Can resize, change size and it is free.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention something while we're on the topic of Screenshots.

Generally, screenshots should be of the PNG file type. PNG is a lossless compression that really takes advantage of computer graphics.

It works best when you have a lot of plain areas. For instance, a screenshot of this website could be posted at full resolution with no artifacts using less than 50KB.

JPEGs are gennerally meant for photos. When you use a JPEG on things like Text, Lines, things of that nature you get an odd "bleeding" of the colors. Red lines on a White background for some reason appear much darker than normal, and they loose their sharpness.

The only problem is that some parts of CIV work great in PNG and others don't. Menus, City Screens, Dialogs, they all work great with PNG.

However, while a screenshot of the Main Map would look better in PNG, most likely it would consume too much bandwidth to be used on the Internet at full resolution.

Edit: Just thought I would add a visual aid:

That's a PNG I took of the Hall of Fame.

It measures ~1200 x 180 or roughly 220,000 pixels. It consumes 100KB.

That's a screenshot of this webpage. It measures 786 x 361 pixels, or roughly 265,000 pixels. However, since this screenshot lacks texture, it wieghs in at only 17KB.

You will notice though, that when compared to JPEGs, these images are MUCH higher quality, and are for all puproses indistinguishable from the original graphics.

Dan O.
          Last edited by Melboz99; November 11, 2005, 21:24.

Comment

Working...
          X