Mech. Infantry and Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mech. Infantry and Oil?

Anybody noticed that this mechanized unit doesn't require oil?
    Isn't it kinda strange?

Doesn't need iron either

It's just like that in Civ3, I think it was aluminium instead of oil.

Comment

I think aluminium for Modern armor is a bad joke.

Doesn't anyone here know what happens when a shell hits aluminium? It melts like butter and gives off toxic gases that kills the crew inside.

Comment

Civ has never been burdened by the constraints of reality. I guess they wanted to give Armour a different resource than Tanks.

Comment

aluminum alloys are indeed used in modern armor I believe. It has advantages over steel, not just the weight issue.
          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

player1, planiras li mod za civ4?

Comment

VetLegion:
              Mozda jednog dana...

Others:
              What bothers me is that when you don't have Oil you don't have access to Tanks or Modern Armor, but you still have Access to Mechanized Infantry.

If it's just a balance question, maybe they've should've lose movment bonus when without oil (they are after all an infantry that still gets defensive bonuses compared to Tanks).

Comment

I wish they did something similar for horse-based units. I can understand needing a 'natural' source of horses for Chariots and Horse Archers, perhaps even Knights, but by the time you get to Military Tradition you'd think horses would be plentiful enough that you won't need to the 'natural' breeding grounds. Heck, horses weren't native to the Americas, iirc, but that didn't stop 19th the century American military from creating some of the strongest cavalry forces of the era.
                For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

Originally posted by Yaga
                  I wish they did something similar for horse-based units. I can understand needing a 'natural' source of horses for Chariots and Horse Archers, perhaps even Knights, but by the time you get to Military Tradition you'd think horses would be plentiful enough that you won't need to the 'natural' breeding grounds. Heck, horses weren't native to the Americas, iirc, but that didn't stop 19th the century American military from creating some of the strongest cavalry forces of the era.
                  and didn't stop Indians (native americans) from using them...

Comment

There was a conscious effort to make sure that a player who was resourceless could at least put up a token defense; leaving a player with infantry against Gunships, Bombers, and Modern Armor is ridiculous. Mechanized Infantry alone can barely hold the line as it is.
                    Friedrich Psitalon
                    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Barely?
                      Isn't it the best defense you can get (32 + defese bonus)?

And when out of aluminium it serves better then normal Tanks for attack too.

While I do understand balance reasons, that mobilty just feels unnatural (espeicaly when you can't build tanks).

Question for moders/coders" How difficult would be to change unit movment to: "1 (2 with Oil)"

Comment

Working...
                      X