No announcement yet.

Poor Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a question of perspective. It is impossible to release a game that everyone would agree is complete. It's not Doom2 anymore - promised 32 levels, got 32 levels, game complete.

Civ4 is complete, in my opinion. Complete, where complete is different from perfect. It's complete because all the features are there, because they work, and because the AI knows all game concepts. The game is not perfect because it, well, just can't be. There's always room for improvement in such a game.

By the way, your speculation that an expansion is nearly complete is just nonsense.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by baboon
      I haven't found a single bug so far.
      As a programmer I gotta tell you that it's impossible to release ANY sort of software WITHOUT ANY bugs. Impossible. Even the tiniest plugins have bugs.... One can only strife to kill as many as possible.
      The tallest trees from acorns grow...

Comment

I would be interesting to know what percent of customers had graphics issues (bad drivers, pak files, studdering movies). Personally I've had none of these problems, and I think Civ 4 is much less buggy and more complete than Civ 3. Was Civ 4 complete enough to release or should they have waited? Maybe they should have waited, but they DO have to make money (to make more Civs!), so they probably wanted to release before Xmas.

Comment

I don't mean to kick a card when it's down but did it ever occur to anyone that the massive number of issues with ATI cards could be due to the card and it's architecture?

ATI has had problems with FarCry, UT 2004, Doom3, HalfLife and now this. Some of which have been fixed by reverting back one or two versions in the drivers.

I'm not sure how fair it is to blame Firaxis for what seems to be common now-a-days.

I'm sorry but I getg sick of people constantly saying some game is crap because it doesn't work with their ATI card and never getting the picture. NONE of these games worked well with ATI cards! But that's the game companies faults. How about some of you get on ATI to stop acting like they are not responsible to put out a quality product that works with games.

Tom P.

Comment

The game certainly isn't full of bugs. Sure, it has some (the worst is the extreme slowdown I encounter sometimes, especially in the lategame, although not always; plus the wonder movies) but other than that the game is stable.

Sure, it feels unfinished (especially the civilopedia, the advisors and some other details) but at least it's fun
            "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
            --George Bernard Shaw
            A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
            --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by padillah
              ATI has had problems with FarCry, UT 2004, Doom3, HalfLife and now this. Some of which have been fixed by reverting back one or two versions in the drivers.
              Really? Doom3 and HalfLife worked ok for me, can't say about the other two. I like ATI hardware, always have. ATI's software sucks though...whoa man, installing their latest drivers, that was painful.

Comment

Doom 3, and Half-life ran without a problem on my ATI x800, but I had to restart 8 times to get Civilization IV working.
                Realism and Extended Game play Mod Supporter.

Check it out over at www.civfanatics.com, under the Creation Forum.

Comment

ATI is fairly well known for crappy drivers. I'd say it's more their fault than Firaxis...

Comment

They should of known this was going to happen? What no one tested on an ATI?
                    Realism and Extended Game play Mod Supporter.

Check it out over at www.civfanatics.com, under the Creation Forum.

Comment

if your game starts slowing down, kick to the desktop (alt-tab), kick back and it should be fine, works for me at least...

no bugs here cept a few minor problems where text won't show up on mouseover...

last night in my game a barbarian city reverted by culture to mine!!!! COOL! and i had just discovered the tech for infantry, and it gave me two free infantry!!! COOL!

Comment

Originally posted by padillah
                        I could add many more games to this list, but maybe the drivers released within the last 1½ year has fixed those*, so I'm not going to mention it

*But considering what type of games those were, I doubt it
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I guess for those unfortunate number of users who can't get CIV to run well have a lot more time to air their criticisms in this forum while most of the other people who have no problems are off happily playing the game.

It just seems to me that certain people who are experiencing the "ATI" problems simply assume that every single ATI user on the entire planet is running into the same issue.

I can understand people being frustrated running into problems, as I would be if they happened to me, but there's no need to rant about it ad nauseum.

Hopefully those people that bought the game and somehow believe they got shafted due to missed bugs and/or incomplete content can simply make their voices heard by the best way possible by returning the game and getting a refund.

CIV runs fine on my machine OOTB (which has an ATI card), but I guess I'm just one of the "lucky" ones.

Comment

I have found a couple minor annoying problems with the game (most notably the "can't build space elevator except in crappy cities" problem, which I think is a glitch), but overall the game is superb.

I am especially pleased that a game this deep has such an outstanding AI. The computer players actually seem to make intelligent choices, the things they do generally make sense, and they can provide a reasonable challenge without any horribly blatant cheating.

The only disappointment I have is with the new publisher's lack of adequate support for the game. Their tech support department blew me off twice. They don't even have their own forum for the game - you have to use third party web sites to access forums and post questions or look for answers.

2Kgames should be ashamed at the lack of support offered for this game, but the game itself rocks. I will think twice before I buy another game from that publisher however. =(

Comment

Re: Poor Move

Originally posted by evanduser
                              With all the game play problems and glitches it hardly compares to Civ III
                              That's the only thing you said that was correct. Even with its problems, Civ4 is leagues better than Civ III.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X