The little things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The little things

I must admit Civ4 turned out better than I would have thought, but there are just a few issues that keep nagging at me...

*Why don't animals get terrain defense boni?

*Why can't you build anything but forts and roads on normal tundra and desert?

*It annoys me that whenever you have a jungle area, it almost invariably gets cleared and covered with bland square after square of towns.

*This has been mentioned before, but I think it is very strange multiple religions in your cities have only positive effects. At the very least they should have unhappiness when going to war with civ of that state religion.

*Also been mentioned but.... pyramids and representation??

I'm kind of wondering why there's roving hordes of ravenous animals at all.

Now maybe if they added some giant herds for us to massacre for gold or something I could see it. But whats an army of bears doing wandering around.

Jungle tends to be kinda useless for anything. Except esoteric research by mad genetecists.
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

The most egregious violation is that you can't access sheep with the Hunting technology...

Caelicola

Comment

Re: The little things

Originally posted by quantum_mechani
        *Why don't animals get terrain defense boni?
        You did not just say "boni". :P

I wish I could build things on desert too. At least mine them a bit like in previous Civs.

Comment

Re: The little things.
          Overall a great game and already lost many hours.
          What is really bugging me however is trying to upgrade my units, each time i upgrade one of my many units,i am taken out of the city screen and back to game, it used to be really easy to scroll through cities upgrading as necesaary. Or am i doing it wrong? is there a simpler way?

Comment

Re: The little things

Originally posted by quantum_mechani
            *Why can't you build anything but forts and roads on normal tundra and desert?
            This is one of my (many) favorite changes. I used to hate in Civ 3 when every single tile would end up railroad-farm or railroad-mine. Talk about bland. Also it made for absolutely NO strategizing when it came to city placement. Now you need to decide: do I build a city in a more fertile area that may have fewer resources, or do I build in tundra to access some silver/furs/etc.? I like it.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Highlight the unit on the main screen, hold down the -ALT- key as you click on the upgrade option. It up grade all units to that type that can be upgraded.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

There are a lot neat things.

1. The annotation tools to put signs, lines and other marks as an overlay.

2. PING to get other human's attention in MP

3. The fully functional zoom. in Civ3 there were two settings "hard to see" and "harder to see"

4. the variety of food, minerals, etc. And needing to do more than just roading to a square to get the benefit

There are many, many other "little things" that makes this game great.
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

the advisors are useless...
                  the civilopedia is half-finished...
                  the leader dialogue is silly, which isnt really all that bad, but its never serious, nor does it adapt to circumstances...
                  its a little too rare with wars...
                  no exciting features such as civil war, internal disputes, resource management, no new civs never appear...

the game is a little bland...
                  Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Expansion Pack... Mods... Let's hope we get some good ones.
                    Realism and Extended Game play Mod Supporter.

Check it out over at www.civfanatics.com, under the Creation Forum.

Comment

Re: Re: The little things

Originally posted by Stuie

This is one of my (many) favorite changes. I used to hate in Civ 3 when every single tile would end up railroad-farm or railroad-mine. Talk about bland. Also it made for absolutely NO strategizing when it came to city placement. Now you need to decide: do I build a city in a more fertile area that may have fewer resources, or do I build in tundra to access some silver/furs/etc.? I like it.
                      Certainly tundra/desert should be less productive then other lands, but it just doesn't make sense to me that you cannot build, say, workshops in the desert.

Oh, and I forgot another little oddity, knights don't need horseback riding.

Comment

3. The fully functional zoom. in Civ3 there were two settings "hard to see" and "harder to see"
                        i'd take the civ3 view over the civ4 options in a heartbeat.
                        it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I like the useless tundras and deserts. In fact, tundra isn't always that useless, sometimes it has trees or rivers for watermills, so you can get a small but productive city there. I like it overall, though, because it serves to further make it important where you settle.

Multiple religions do have the war weariness negative effect, though.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by pauli
                            i'd take the civ3 view over the civ4 options in a heartbeat.
                            Just press ALT-O and you'll get the isometric Civ3 view.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Ofcourse animals doesn't get terrain bonus. Would be fun to see a wolfpack use a hill for a strategic placement before a combat.

I see animals as an abstract feature in the game. The countryside should be filled with danger not only from evil barbarians but also animals alike.

I do agree with you regarding religion. When was multiple religions in a city ever good? Every additional religion different from your state religion should make a pop unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X