X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If 'next week' means 'this week' there's not much left

Anyone got concrete times on the patch?

No, it's all rumours so far. We haven't had anything official yet, only an e-mail. And remember, often a bug/problem is discovered right before the patch is released, making it impossible to release it. And if that happens(quite likely), there will be no other solution for Firaxis than to postpone the patch. And good is that. If not there would be a total uproar all over the Internet. This is also why Firaxis won't tell us a definite ETA, be sure. And after all, we do want the patch to solve our problems right?
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I just hope they're not going to make us wait until they make some SUPER PATCH. I'd gladly settle for a nice little "unsupported beta patch" to hold us over until the REAL patch makes it out.

Comment

Well I agree and disagree, Although I'd love to see a patch with every little bug solved I think it's only fair to get one out urgently for the people who can't get the game to run or it crashes very quickly (of which I'm not one of them) first.

There would probably be some things in there to please most people but the longer they leave it for a patch to actually make the game work in some cases the more bad PR they'll get. No one will recommend a game to someone else that doesn't work on their PC.

I do understand that releasing a game on a PC must be one hell of a challange with all the different setups people have and with console game releases that work (due to all the systems being the same) straight out of the box, people expect the same kind of quality and ease with PC's.

Well here's looking forward to a patch whenever it arrives

Comment

I wil squirt some celebratory ink
          I will not squirt ink in your eyes for there exists too much blindness already.

Comment

I seem to recall back in the days of CivIII, that Firaxis released stuff on Fridays. Often with little or no notice. I wonder if maybe we will see something unexpected (or expected but known about) tomorrow.
            Alias rules!

Comment

I seem to recall the days when games HAD to be FULLY FUNCTIONAL before release cause there wasnt an internet to distribute patches. now it seems gaming companies dont mind launching half finished products and then start patching them, and gamers seem to accept it. what a bunch of wimps...
              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Earlier the game industry wasn't nearly as costly, and most game producers didn't have any mighty publisher threathe ning behind.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

In those olden days, the game developers only had to support CGA, EGA and VGA (if it was advanced enough), and there was only SoundBlaster worth supporting, and limited support for AdLib and Roland... Things were alot easier back then. Now it's a myriad of setups, they can only hope they get to test it on most of the likely setups.

My guess is it's a combination of more complexity and publishers booting the game into the stores a bit premature. Really, Civilization 4 needed to be released now. It reaches a broad user base, and will possibly be bought by both grandmas and teenies and everyone in between. So the coming holiday is vital for the games sales success in my view.

And I think you should be glad there is an internet so you can download the patches. Or else I think there would be quite a few games that wouldn't make it out the door because the publisher wasn't happy with the quality and didn't have confidence the game would cut it after a couple of months with bug fixing.

Comment

this is why firaxis hasnt officially announced anything. if they were 150% certain that it would be "next week", they would have said so....
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

continue here http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=141572
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                      X