application failed to initialize properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• application failed to initialize properly

Hey everyone, i registered for this forum just so that I could post my problem, cus i'm getting desperate after trying for one entire day to even start the game. My comp is using Winxp, with 1 gig ram, geforce 6800 ultra...basically, it runs all other games with no problems. Many "controversial" games which ppl couldn't run due to blacklisting of their cd burning applications ran perfectly fine for me ( i have nero installed, not sure if SD4 blacklists it). Anyways, when i start the game, i get this msg saying "application failed to initialize properly". Just curious, is anybody even facing the same problem as me? i google'd it, searched a few forums, apparently my problem seems, unique. and I'm just lost as to what I can do. tried the following solutions below, but to no avail:
    (btw, mine's a DVD version)

1. Attempted to hide nero from sd4
    2. unpak'ed the assets fpk file
    3. downloaded latest graphic drivers.
    4. created a new user (although the current one already has admin rights)
    5. couldn't even attempt to clear the cache. apparently the civ4 folder in "my games" is created when u run the game for the first time. I never even got the folder to be created.
    6. Just testing, I took the DVD out of the drive and tried to run the game. same error msg. meaning whatever problem is happening is nothing to do with the dvd check or anything. the game doesn't even get that far.

So, as of now, I'm quite sickened. My games have always ran without a hitch even though the recent games I've been buying had users swamping the tech support forums. I thought i would be immune. I guess not :sad:

pls, just knowing someone even has the same problem would help a lot. haha. cus that would mean it's not a problem with my system. thx a lot guys!

Nero isn't an emulator so isn't an issue. Applications like Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% are the ones that tend to suffer from being blacklisted, though there are workarounds.

You may want to do a full uninstall of Civ 4, install the DirectX that comes with Civ 4(it's slightly different from the standard DirectX 9.0c package), re-install the latest drivers for both your video card and sound card, then re-install the game and see if that helps.

Comment

hey thx for the advice. but sadly, i did all that too. i mean, uninstalled and reinstalled the game countless times. totally clueless. and i posted my problem on 2 boards. not one person has the same problem as me. and a search on google turned up nothing too. omg. this is real bad. a few billion ppl in the world, and no one has my problem??

this would certainly point to a problem with my system, but i've never had any problems till civ 4...so i'm quite skeptical there too... hmm.

Comment

Working...
      X