Radeon 7500 Users: DirectX is the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 7500 Users: DirectX is the problem

Howdy folks. Like many of you I’ve been highly frustrated with Civ IV since buying it last week, and after a lot of research & tinkering, I’m pretty sure I’ve found the culprit: the DirectX 9.0c’s shading abilities. At least, that’s the culprit if you’re using a Mobility Radeon 7500, and probably a regular Radeon 7500, and it has nothing to do with T&L, as many seem to be thinking. Why? Our cards have no support for some of 9.0c’s advanced commands, which are apparently used extensively by Civ IV. Here’s my key specs:

Windows XP w/SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 2.40 GHz
    512 MB Ram (Virtual Mem pushed to as high as 1500MB during the tinkering process)
    ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 64MB w/T&L

At first, I had the problem with the black map & the floating heads, but I was able to clear that up by: updating to the latest Omega drivers, following Firaxis’ PakBuild “fix,” and setting my AGP down to 0 (with #1 & #2 coming from this board, thank you very much for the help!). With that done, the game plays – even on large maps – with most graphics intact, and doesn’t start slowing down on large maps until the later stages of play. Even then, it’s still playable.

The main problem is that I have the “washed out” terrain others have reported – yellow fields & white deserts, plus either black, black & blue, or black/white & blue water unless one of my ships is present. Additionally, animals appear as shadows unless I turn off animations inside the game. Other than that, everything seems to work, including pretty seamless movies. To make matters worse, the game teases me by suddenly cutting in to “full graphics” mode for short periods of time. Unfortunately, these glimpses of what the game’s supposed to look like make it unplayably slow.

At first I thought this would be patchable, but now I’m not so sure ‘cause I’ve confirmed that the Mobility Radeon 7500 DOES NOT have the hardware to support DirectX 9.0c’s advanced shading features, which must be what makes Civ IV look the way it’s supposed to look. I double-checked Firaxis’ requirements, and sure enough it specifically says it has to be a T&L card with DirectX 9.0c support.

So my question is, CAN Firaxis patch this problem for 7500 users, even if they wanted to? Or, is there a way to emulate those advanced shading functions with software? And if so, would it result in a game that’s too slow to play? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

p.s. Seems like a lot of 7500 users out there had given up on being able to play the game at all. Don't give up hope; I'm proof that you can play it more or less normally on a 7500, even if the terrain & water colors are messed up.

p.p.s. Yes, I have asked Firaxis these questions, and no, still haven't heard back from them.
    "You can quote me on that."
    --Anonymous

Re: Radeon 7500 Users: DirectX is the problem

Originally posted by kidjesus
    Howdy folks. Like many of you I’ve been highly frustrated with Civ IV since buying it last week, and after a lot of research & tinkering, I’m pretty sure I’ve found the culprit: the DirectX 9.0c’s shading abilities. At least, that’s the culprit if you’re using a Mobility Radeon 7500, and probably a regular Radeon 7500, and it has nothing to do with T&L, as many seem to be thinking. Why? Our cards have no support for some of 9.0c’s advanced commands, which are apparently used extensively by Civ IV. Here’s my key specs:
    If this is true, and it sounds logical, it's depressing as all hell since it's probably not patachable, and a little strange considering the 7500 is specifically listed as the min. req. You'd think they'd know that the card didn't support what they were doing with DirectX...

Originally posted by kidjesus

p.s. Seems like a lot of 7500 users out there had given up on being able to play the game at all. Don't give up hope; I'm proof that you can play it more or less normally on a 7500, even if the terrain & water colors are messed up.
    I 'fixed' the washed out terrain issue by switching to overhead/satillite cam (Alt-F in game). This seems to bring back the normal terrain colors for me.

I personally couldn't stand the washed out terrain and such considering it makes it very difficult to tell the difference between plains, grasslands and tundra without rolling over with the mouse...

Keep us updated if tech support ever gets back to you!
    Oh.. No.. This must be what going mad feels like.

Comment

I have a Radeon 7500 Mobility and after installing the game, I had the black map-floating eyes problem. The quickest way to tweak my setting was to force the vertex shader to version 1.0 (so it's indeed a direct X problem). I can play with the 'almost blank' terrain now and to see the horses, sheep, ... I frooze my animations (option menu) so the game is quite playable. (especially if you look from topview)

BUT I do think the game can be patched, because if I set optimal settings (vertex shader of Direct X 9 (version 2.0) and use the 'reveal all tiles' trick in the world editor, I can see the map perfectly. Perhaps only the "fog of war" causes the black map problem?

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that I have seen Civ IV in full glory on a Radeon 7500. So nobody come telling me that the hardware can't cope. This has all to do with programming. Either there are problems in the CIV IV code or the drivers for Direct-X are crappy, but there has to be a solution to get this game to work with these graphic cards!

I know nothing about programming and directX, but it looks to me that a combination of the vertex shader 1.0 and 2.0 would be the solution. Although there are perhaps parts in de CIV IV code that could address these seperately?

Untill then, I'll be playing from top view, occasionally going to perspective to admire my civilization ;-)

Comment

Re: Re: Radeon 7500 Users: DirectX is the problem

Originally posted by aceshigh
        I 'fixed' the washed out terrain issue by switching to overhead/satillite cam (Alt-F in game). This seems to bring back the normal terrain colors for me.
        The ability to see the full colors in overhead mode is what makes the lack of colors in normal mode even more frustrating. That, and the fact that I can play other high-graphics games like Sims 2 & Firaxis' Pirates on my system with no major problems.

Originally posted by aceshigh
        Keep us updated if tech support ever gets back to you!
        Will definitely post an update when (if?) I hear back from Firaxis.

Originally posted by boy.to.be
        BUT I do think the game can be patched, because if I set optimal settings (vertex shader of Direct X 9 (version 2.0) and use the 'reveal all tiles' trick in the world editor, I can see the map perfectly. Perhaps only the "fog of war" causes the black map problem?
        I didn't have to toy with the shader settings to get rid of the "black map" problem. I just used Firaxis' PAK "fix," update to the latest drivers and set my AGP setting down to 0. (In fact, I can even play with my AGP at full power, though it does slow the game down some.) I'm just stuck with the washed-out terrain, messed up water and animal shadows.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that I have seen Civ IV in full glory on a Radeon 7500.
        Problem is, the "full glory" in overhead mode isn't really full glory. I'd put a "sad" face here but I don't use those things.

Either there are problems in the CIV IV code or the drivers for Direct-X are crappy, but there has to be a solution to get this game to work with these graphic cards!
        I'm still hoping this is the case, though as I've said, I'm beginning to doubt it based on what I've read on 9.0c. And of course, still haven't heard back from Firaxis -- and doubly of course, the patch that was rumored to be released this week still hasn't shown up anywhere, and the week's almost over. Still, the fact that full graphics mode kicks in every now and then while I'm playing gives me hope. Fingers are crossed!
        "You can quote me on that."
        --Anonymous

Comment

Need Help

'and setting my AGP down to 0'.

how do you do this?

Comment

FIXED!

Ok...After 6 hours straight I found a simple solution...maybe it's already been posted, I'm too tired to read everything...

Just install the ATI Omega drivers (Third Party, but free) at www.omegadrivers.net, and everything's peachy.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I Can sleep soundly now.

Comment

Working...
            X