Two Settlers from my first two huts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Settlers from my first two huts!

I was playing as Frederick, Continents, Standard size (but with 5 players instead of 7), on Warlord--I stepped down a level because I wanted to make a run at a cultural win. Well, nothing makes a cultural victory--or any other kind, for that matter--easier than getting TWO SETTLERS from huts within TEN turns of my start! WOW! I've never heard of luck like that, not even with the old Civ3 Expansionist trait. And let me tell you, this was VERY unbalancing. Not having to stall your capital growth to build settlers is unbelievably powerful--I cranked out Stonehenge, the Oracle, and Pyramids without breaking a sweat. Also, the extra commerce from the other two cities made research a breeze--I nabbed all 3 early religions.

Oh yeah, and I got 4 other huts, too. I got maps from one hut, gold from 2 huts (100 and 69), and a tech from the final hut.

So my question is: why did I get so lucky? Was it the low difficulty level? Was it the low density of the map? Was it something about Freddy's traits? (Philo and Creative? Couldn't be.) Or did I just happen to nail the dice roll?

More generally, does anyone know the odds for getting each of the various possible items (tech, settler, gold, maps, barbs) from a hut?
    mmmmm...cabbage

You lucky, lucky man...

Yes, you do get a higher chance of getting cities from huts, and other goodies too, when on the lowest 2 or 3 difficulities.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Nah. You were just lucky. Please note, btw, that Warlord is the last difficulty level where you can get a Settler or a Worker from a goodie hut. Noble and up are just maps, gold, techs or scouts/warriors.
      The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
      - Frank Herbert

Comment

Re: Two Settlers from my first two huts!

Originally posted by Cabbagemeister

So my question is: why did I get so lucky? Was it the low difficulty level? Was it the low density of the map? Was it something about Freddy's traits? (Philo and Creative? Couldn't be.) Or did I just happen to nail the dice roll?
        Because you're a lucky bastard.

I get two sttlers from huts in my last game, but one was in classical era (I discovered a nice island). In my other games, nope.
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Well, forget Civ4, I'm heading to Vegas!

(Of course I don't mean that. There's no reason why I can't bring my laptop to Vegas, and play Civ4 while I'm there.

"Sir, I need to know, are you going to hit or stand pat?"

"Willya hold on just a second, I'm trying to invade Egypt here!")
          Last edited by Cabbagemeister; November 9, 2005, 13:00.
          mmmmm...cabbage

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
              Please note, btw, that Warlord is the last difficulty level where you can get a Settler or a Worker from a goodie hut. Noble and up are just maps, gold, techs or scouts/warriors.
              Are you absolutely sure about that?
              Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

That's what I've heard too. From Noble and up there's no such goodies coming your way.

Comment

I've never got a settler from a hut, so that sounds right indeed.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Ah, I had that happen the first time I decided to step away from being a spiritual civ to one with scouts. Easiest game start ever. I thought it was the scout making the difference, so I was disappointed when the game after that I took the effort to produce scouts instead of warriors and got no return for my effort. Now it seems that upping to Noble was the reason for my poorer results.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Yeah, I think you can be sure of that.

Comment

That's incredible, alright. So far I've always played at Noble or above, so I've never gotten a settler. I actually think that's an improvement over the earlier Civs, because my greatest temptation always used to be to save-and-reload to get "just one" extra settler. I'll spend centures in Civilization purgatory for that. With Civ4, I'm washed clean.

Comment

Working...
                        X