Culture bomb fizzled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culture bomb fizzled?

I've run into an interesting problem. My culture bomb did not work at all. I took Cuzco and used a great artist with the hope of flipping other cities without a war. But now it appears his low culture cities are going to take Cuzco.

I checked the culture in the world builder and Cuzco has over 4000, Vilcabamba has 30, and Ollantaytambo 101.

What is going on with my borders?

I messed around in the world builder a little and if you change the culture in that city you can get borders that I would expect. Some bug at work here.

Also, why can't I give a city more than 1000 culture in the world builder?

Attached is the save before the bomb.
    Attached Files

I'm thinking, there might be less of their culture, but it's older culture, harder to root out...
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I had a similar situation when I captured a city within the enemy territory and did not get a single square around it, despite dropping the culture bomb inside.

Would be cool if someone from Firaxis confirmed this is a WAD (i.e. old culture is harder to replace by new culture) and not a bug.
      The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
      - Frank Herbert

Comment

If your mouse was hovering over your city when you took that screenshot then you are in no danger of having your city flip. A city is only in danger of flipping if it has less than 50% of your population. And culture bombs take awhile to take effect, dunno what the exact formula is though. Also I believe cities you take by conquest cannot be flipped back to the original owner anyways

Comment

That Olla city is the capitol, impossible to cultureflip and it has "strong borders" no matter what. I don't know if there's a formula for this, but would like to know what dictates the borders for a strong cultured city vs a capital. One important factor is distance from your own capital.

In standard game a city cannot cultureflip if conquered, this can be turned on in a custom game however.

Comment

Originally posted by sittingsparrow
            That Olla city is the capitol, impossible to cultureflip and it has "strong borders" no matter what.
            Yeah - this must be the case. Capital city culture borders must take precedence over other cities. What's weird is - you have that one yellow square in the ocean above Huayna Capa's territory... that must be where your borders would have extended if they weren't competing with a capital city. I guess. Maybe.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I had a similar experience myself. I was separated from the Greeks by a narrow straight. I sailed over and took their capital. I then hit it with a culture bomb, but didn't get any border expansion.

I did notice, however, that the percentage of my people in the city was quite low (and growing slowly). It only reached 31% the turn I decided to gift it back to the Greeks.

Considering that I took over their capital, however, it doesn't seem like the "capital city culture borders" would be in effect, unless they are instantaneous (at this point I don't recall where their capital moved to).

Bh

Comment

Ah I think it is the answer, actually. When you mouse over any border land tile, you will see it has a breakdown of a percentage of competing cultures. If the city itself has less than 50% of your culture, I suspect it is not exerting pressure on the nearby borders, irrespective of the actual cultural value of the city after the bomb. (Effectively, if you have say 30% your culture, 70% enemy culture in your city and it has 4000 culture, it means it is exerting 70% of its cultural influence but for enemy culture). Probably you need to wait a few turns until your culture gains an advantage in the city and then it will start to exert its pressure for your culture.
                The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
                  Would be cool if someone from Firaxis confirmed this is a WAD (i.e. old culture is harder to replace by new culture) and not a bug.
                  Yeah I would like this confirmed as well. It seems a bit odd to me. Even if the capitol borders cannot be pushed back, I would expect that Vilcabamba should have its borders altered. Cuzco was the capital and it moved to Olla after I took it. If this is WAD then my plan didn't work as expected.

It might be that the borders don't expand because it was the civs capital?

Comment

Working...
                  X