Overclocked Pentium and Civ4 as a real stress test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocked Pentium and Civ4 as a real stress test

I have a Acer 1690 Laptop. (Too easy to overclock with software)

The processor is a Pentium M 715 (1.5ghz, FSB 400MHZ, 512meg DDR2 400mhz)
    So yesterday I overclocked my laptop to a 1.8ghz. I've run torture test, benchamrk test, stress test, to be sure the heat was the same and to know if WinXP was stable. (I undervolt the processor since the Pentium M can be undervolted a lot and finally at 1.8ghz I use the same power than before at 1.5ghz, even a little lesser, 25.8watts compared to 27watts as the factory default)

But the only piece of software who can cause a blue screen at 1.8ghz is Civilization4.
    NFS Underground, UT2K4 and all the stress test i've made do not cause any blue screen... But Civ4 yes, so if you want a real stress test to test your overclock...it`s a turn based games called Civ4.

I think the problem of the blue screen lie in the memory... If I was having better memory, I'll be able to overclock my CPU without any blue screen at 1.85ghz! Civ4 stress a lot the cpu(i think everybody knows that) and at the same time the game use a lot of ram and have to read often over the hard disk. So many transfert and a little bit of corruption can crash the system. But at 1.775ghz the game is stable without any blue screen for hour of play.

Civ4 is now faster than before but even in the late part of the game, the game became a little sluggish... but it's really better than before. Just to let you know, like I was suspecting, Unreal Tournament 2004 RUN like hell now, really really smooth, Need For Speed Underground run really smooth now. But Civ4 is a little sluggish in the late part of the game.

Why Civ4 is not much smoother than before, compared to other games I tried who was running at incredible speed:
    1: I need more RAM.
    2: I have an Integrated Graphics Card(Intel GMA 900). Who use the processor to do the T&L.
    3: I need again more RAM.

So one of my eternal question of Civ4? If the game will be, or can be optimise to run better on our system? Or we will need to buy new piece of hardware?

Someone on CivFanactics posted some good results he have done on three different machine: He conclude by saying the game was CPU intensive than GPU intensive.... So maybe, there are some routine who can be optimise.

I think of the best move I can do now is to buy 1GB of DDR2. In Canadian dollars the price is around 115-120$!!!!!

see ya

Edit: Why I supposed the instability of my overclock lie in the memory? There is a software called SuperPI. I supposed he dont stree the memory and he was able to calculate for hour without any crash.
    Last edited by CrONoS; November 8, 2005, 03:40.
    bleh

OC or not, it makes no difference on my system. (3.4/3.79)

Comment

Do you try to overclock your graphics cards?

If yes, do you see any difference?

Originally posted by Dr,ape
      bleh

Comment

Since my graphics cards used the CPU to calculate the T&L. By giving more horsepower to my CPU it helps to make the game run faster. Maybe the game is more GPU dependant then CPU dependant.

I curious to see this kind of test:

2 same processor with 2 different video cards(if we choose a 9600 and a 9800)

2 same type of processor but with a different clock speed and having the same video card.

And a test with ram.

A system with 512 RAM and the system but with 1GB of Ram.

This will see what can be the best upgrade we can do.

Originally posted by Dr,ape
        Last edited by CrONoS; November 8, 2005, 03:53.
        bleh

Comment

In games like this, I/O takes up more than 99% of the actual delay time (just like most other apps). You would only see significant increase in performance if you can somehow:
          1. decrease the amount of I/O necessary (by fixing bugs maybe), or
          2. increase the speed of I/O operations.

It only take a fraction of a second for the CPU and GPU to complete its real work, before they stop and wait for either I/O or the user.

Comment

Working...
          X