Busted saves self-healing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted saves self-healing?

I have a save file. This save file was 100% reliable in CTDs if my Buddhist missionary tried to spread religion. Drivers, graphics settings, sound... No effect. Deleting the unit was safe, spreading Buddhism wasn't.

Today, I can load it and spread Buddhism, no crash.

I have another save where I have a worker unit that can only build roads. Other workers can do stuff, but not that one. Any farm, mine, pasture, or cottage build gets a CTD.

Hypothesis: Civ4 sometimes accesses uninitialized memory. Depending on what is currently in system memory, this can be harmless, or can cause crashes. Thus, rebooting, playing other scenarios, and things like that can replace whatever it is that makes one game crash and another work reliably. This is why so many crashes are endemic for a while, then go away when you change things, and why so many changes (older drivers, newer drivers, etc.) have huge effects for a while but then it gets bad again.

*sigh* I can't figure out how to reproduce this. I'm poking around some with process explorer, and I may have to break out an actual debugger to figure out what's happening.

Some crashes don't even generate a system event, so presumably the process is "exiting cleanly". This leads me to suspect that it's not a proper crash, but rather, some line of code that exits rather than aborting... And does so spontaneously and without warning.

Comment

Working...
    X