Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I like the Oracle...

Hey all,

One thing I've done in my past few games is build the Oracle once I get Monotheism. Usually by this time I have enough cities to support building a WW and often I have stone.

The advantage of The Oracle is that you get to choose a free tech. Theology is the best tech to choose, because a) it's way up the tech tree and is worth tons of beakers, and b) first one to get it founds Christianity.

Also, while I'm working on the Oracle i start researching Code of Laws.

So, within about 10 turns apart I usually get both Confucianism and Christianity.

In this way I have even ended up founding ALL religions during one game. I got real lucky getting both Budhism and Hinduism.

The free Theology just can't be beat!

Dan O.

Hands down my favorite wonder is the pyramids. In and of themselves they're great since they never expire but then you get ass loads of engineers which allow you to build 3-4 more wonders. Basically it is 5 wonders for the price of one.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

pyramids - let's not forget the early chance to change your government civics.

Comment

I heard from Solver once that discovering all the religions is not a good thing.

He didn't say why though..
        be free

Comment

You can make a whole boatload of money, though, through getting great prophets to build the religious wonders that give +1 gold for all cities with the religion under your control.

That's usually half of my economy.

Comment

Originally posted by evizaer
            You can make a whole boatload of money, though, through getting great prophets to build the religious wonders that give +1 gold for all cities with the religion under your control.

That's usually half of my economy.
            One game on Chieftan with all the rel's, I ended up with over 400GPT at 80% Sci / 20% Culture.

The funny thing is that I only had about 15 Cities!

I ended up buying a few WW's (is that supposed to be possible?) and beating it via Space Race in 1963. However, I had enough CPT in three of my cities to win Culture Victory in < 20 turns.

Dan O

Comment

Ok, the pyramids are great, but it takes forever to get a great engineer while i'm flooded with prophets. And when I put more points in GPP I get other Persons as well instead of engineers.

So it's nice, but it's a pain to build. I can't find a forest anywhere in my country because of the damn thing.

Comment

I'd rather research bronze & iron and nab metal casting from the Oracle.

One religion is really enough for me. More than one and you really have to put in a lot of effort in order to get it to pay off. Metal casting, meanwhile, means forges (+25% production) and is a pretty darned expensive technology.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                X