What is the best offensive unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best offensive unit?

My money is on the Great Artist! Move one of those guys to the frontier and have them build a masterpiece. You can take over five enemy cities in just a few turns! The 6,000 culture points is nuclear.

But only if the enemy cultures aren't developed.

I once made a great masterpiece in one city and didn't even flip one tile.

Its all relative.
    \

Comment

I haven't flipped any cities with my great artists, but at least I pushed back the encroaching borders that were right up to my city. Allowing me to work more river tiles and expand my population.

Comment

There is no best unit, its all balanced and trade offs.
        Realism and Extended Game play Mod Supporter.

Check it out over at www.civfanatics.com, under the Creation Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeCourtney
          There is no best unit, its all balanced and trade offs.
          QFT. And each unit has a "best" counter.

Like, if you're attacking Modern Armour, the best unit to use is a Longbowman.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The best unit is the NUKE!
            Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

settler is the best unit.

Comment

The best offensive units are the ones your allies use to attack your enemies, by your request. I am a peace-loving nation, and would never start a war of aggression.

Comment

Originally posted by phybre
                  The best offensive units are the ones your allies use to attack your enemies, by your request.
                  One might say a... coalition of the willing, if you will....

Comment

Re: What is the best offensive unit?

Originally posted by Cordelayne
                    My money is on the Great Artist! Move one of those guys to the frontier and have them build a masterpiece. You can take over five enemy cities in just a few turns! The 6,000 culture points is nuclear.
                    I can tell you that it wont happen every time. I actually had more success with out GA's.

I had a boarder war with Japan. I had the larger city with all the usuall builds to max culture.
                    It was entertaining to wtach the boarder lines go back and forth.
                    It seemed the parking units right at the boarder helped solidify that part.
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

That's odd. My culture bombs have been 4000 points, not 6000.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I'll put in another vote for the culture nuke. I put one in a border city with almost no culture during the classical era (the border was only 1 square away.) BOOM! Pushed the border almost back to the neighboring city, and swiped a Spice resource to boot! They did get that one back a little while later.

Comment

In the early game the Roman Praetorians roll right over everything in sight. The strength of '8' is much better than anything else at that point, unless someone gets War Elephants. But the praetorians still have an advantage when attacking the war elephants since they (the w.e.'s) don't get a defensive bonus (which I interpret to mean their 8 is not really an 8 on defense).
                          Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
                            That's odd. My culture bombs have been 4000 points, not 6000.
                            normal speed = 4000; epic = 6000 ; quick = 2500 (i think, not sure).

Comment

Originally posted by Falconius
                              But the praetorians still have an advantage when attacking the war elephants since they (the w.e.'s) don't get a defensive bonus (which I interpret to mean their 8 is not really an 8 on defense).
                              No, it means that defensive bonuses such as terrain and city tiles do not increase the strength attribute when the unit is attacked.

Combat Explained:
                              Ahh…fighting. Love it or hate it, there will be times it’s part of your Civ-ing career. This article attempts to explain a bit about how combat is figured, discusses some “jump points” where your odds of success change dramatically with a very small change in strength...

Comment

Working...
                              X