Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading the reviews...

I don't have the game yet.

I've read many magazine/gaming site reviews and I have noticed that they are similar in large degree. In fact, they are as near as they can be given that authors are different people. Your typical review will: have a mention of the "one more turn" phenomena, note that Civilization IV is an upgrade "while keeping what made the series great" and occasionaly it will even praise good AI (like you can know that this soon). Then it will enumerate a couple of features and that's it.

Not only are these reviews similar to each other but they also seem almost carbon copies of reviews of Civilization II, Civilization III and Call to Power II. Is it like this in other genres? I admit I don't play that much (nor read reviews that much).

Where has imagination gone? You could almost write a script to produce Civilization reviews.

Anyway, check it out for yourselves:
    Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

One interesting thing to note about Call To Power II is that while the community IIRC trashed it mostly for bad AI, the reviewers seem instead to have disliked lack of originality, something that didn't bother them that much with other titles.

what did you expect? you see bloated crap every day getting top scores
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

All true, I doubt most fanatics care much about originality. You see us asking for remakes of things like Moo and MoM with just updated graphic and api to work on XP.

Heck I will take that and they don't even have to fix the known bugs.

Comment

Datajack,

Score doesn't mean much to me, I almost always read the article.

Heck I will take that and they don't even have to fix the known bugs.

I was commenting (the lack of) originality of the reviews though

Comment

Working...
        X