For people who the game runs slow, try this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For people who the game runs slow, try this

Not shure if this was said or not, but I just noticed something.

I was fiddling trying new things and since the game took forever to load on a huge game I tried large. It was a faster load time, so I tried small to just see what happens. I loaded really fast and when I entered world editor it happened in less than 3 seconds. It would take about 30+ seconds to load on huge.

So what I am saying is if you are feeling the game is running slow, swallow your pride and play on a smaller map. This was with all the Graphic setting set to max.

I am going to give a shot at a large map and see if the game goes faster since huge runs a bit slow for me.

I have a PIV 2.8ghz 512 ram, 124meg geforce 2 vid card.

Hope this will help some people out.

Holy crap... I can't play above standard map size without getting lag throughout the game and my system's specs are much better than yours.

Comment

Performance issues

There several things that could slow down your system, despite its supposedly superior specifications

Hard disk access time
      Amount of system memory
      Configuration of operating system
      Presence of anti-virus software doing lots of checking in the background.
      Check your graphics drivers to make sure you have the latest (or best!) ones

That just scratches the surface...

I'm not an expert on these things, but there is bound to be someone in Apolyton who is.

Prof V.

Comment

Re: Performance issues

Originally posted by Prof. Vorthys
        There several things that could slow down your system, despite its supposedly superior specifications

Hard disk access time
        Amount of system memory

That just scratches the surface...

I'm not an expert on these things, but there is bound to be someone in Apolyton who is.

Prof V.

And the most important advice - wait untill at least 3 patches appear.

Comment

Tiny map 8 civs is the best way to play in my opinion. Makes for a very strategic style of game.

Comment

Re: Performance issues

Originally posted by Prof. Vorthys

Hard disk access time
            Amount of system memory

Another one is the level of difficulty. Also I found that if the game slows down and I alt-tab out then click back in, the speed is faster.

I play on chieftain on huge maps without any problems with my 2 GHz P4 with 512 Mb of ram and a lowly Radeon 8500 card!

Henri

Comment

I'm blessed with not having this problem right now, but I did have it severely with late game in Civ3.

Here is my suggestion.

Buy a good book, a good large book, and while you wait, read!

I've read entire books while playing Civ3. Civ3 became my relaxing and reading time. Very enjoyable.
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                I'm blessed with not having this problem right now, but I did have it severely with late game in Civ3.

Here is my suggestion.

Buy a good book, a good large book, and while you wait, read!

I've read entire books while playing Civ3. Civ3 became my relaxing and reading time. Very enjoyable.
                This is sorta like putting a movie on in the background to watch when you are having sex with a woman who insists on having six orgasims before you are allowed one.

Another option might be to find a mistress with less demanding specs.

Its one thing to be slapped by a woman in bed, still another to slapped by a woman in a computer game.

Some of us have no choice but to work with the hardware we have you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dizle

This is sorta like putting a movie on in the background to watch when you are having sex with a woman who insists on having six orgasims before you are allowed one.

Another option might be to find a mistress with less demanding specs.

Its one thing to be slapped by a woman in bed, still another to slapped by a woman in a computer game.

Some of us have no choice but to work with the hardware we have you know.
                  I nominate this for the "Post of the Week" award.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

I just ordered a new computer because of Civ IV (well I needed a new one anyway... not being able to play Civ was just the last straw). It was laggy even on the lowest graphic settings and the smallest maps.

Comment

lol 3rded!

Also with games i CANNOT stress the importance of Memory!! Get it! get at least a gig and push to 1.5 if you can.I can not comment on this game as i have always had the memory, But i played Battlefield 2 with 512, and it was shocking, choppy laggy at 800 res, So I went to 1.5 gig, and it ran sweet as a nut at 1072 res , Its all memory folks.

Comment

Working...
                        X