Digging For Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging For Gold

When you build a mine on a hill there is a chance that you will discover some resource there (copper, iron, gold, silver, etc).

In my last game I built a mine over a hill and no resource came up. Then the AI (before taking my capitol, those bastards) pillaged the square. After reestablishing control I remined the hill, and to my surprize my clever workers turned up a gold deposit.

So it looks like the chance of finding a resource in a hill is randomly generated each time that hill is mined, and isn't a set value. So it seems you can mine, pilliage and mine a hill again and again till you find something.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Yes, but that is a lot of bother and seem like an exploit.

Comment

Of course not. It is quite logical if you are digging and digging to find out something...

Comment

Weird.

Comment

It's still a lot of bother.

Comment

You can also discover a resource from a mine long after you originally constructed the mine, though I don't know what the relative chance of this is.

Comment

Actually, there's the chance of a resource being discovered after you build a mine, randomly. The chance is, every turn, one in ten thousand to discover a given resource. As there are 8 resources that can be discovered in total, with all the techs available, it would be a one in 1250 chance of discovering any of the 8 resources, per turn, with all techs.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Interesting. Is that rate any different upon immediately building the mine or doesn't it matter?
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

there is a test every turn you work the tile...
                  - What's that?
                  - It's a cannon fuse.
                  - What's it for?
                  - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                    Actually, there's the chance of a resource being discovered after you build a mine, randomly. The chance is, every turn, one in ten thousand to discover a given resource. As there are 8 resources that can be discovered in total, with all the techs available, it would be a one in 1250 chance of discovering any of the 8 resources, per turn, with all techs.
                    Is the probability higher in the turn you build the mine?

Comment

Wow, that seems like an extremely low probability!

Comment

Yeah it has nothing to do with building the mine. It is when your city works the mine that they might find gold.

Comment

That probability isn't very low at all. At 1/1250 chance of success, if you work a mine for 100 turns, there's a 7.69% chance of finding something. Do this for 20 tiles, and you have a 79.8% chance of finding a resounce in that time frame.
                          Mylon Mod - Adressing game pace and making big cities bigger.
                          Inquisition Mod - Exterminating heretic religions since 1200 AD

Comment

So the moral of the story is to mine every hill even not in city radius? Thanks for this(didn't know about the per turn check)

Comment

... no, the mine has to be worked, meaning a city has a citizen working the mine and using it for production.

Comment

Working...
                              X