What is worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is worse?

I don´t have the game yet. And I´m not sure I can run it even when I get it (too old comp). But there seems to be problems galore even with fairly new comps.

So what´s worse? Not having the game and being well below minimum req. Or having the game and not be able to play due to crashes and such.
    Not having the game
    58.23%
    Having the game
    17.72%
    Having a banana
    24.05%
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

voted-not having the game

if it is in your hands, it will motivate you to upgrade your comp
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I voted having the game.

I play MP games for the most part. The game was shipped with a faulty MP interface that makes getting a game started tedious at best. It also has numerous crash bugs that make just llooking for a game difficult: ei. game crashes to desktop when you chat. In game the any connection difficulties makes playing the game not much fun. So while the SP game is great, I wanted the game for the advertised great MP experience. Since I haven't gotten that, yet, I rather not have the game at all.
      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

If your below mininum rerquirement, either play Civ II, or go out and buy a new computer.

Comment

I´m currently playing Alpha Centauri

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
            voted-not having the game

if it is in your hands, it will motivate you to upgrade your comp
            Seeing as my economy is seriously ill at the moment, I voted the opposite. If I buy the game and it doesn´t work it will be taunting me from the shelf for the next 6 months...
            Last edited by Zoid; November 6, 2005, 16:14.

Comment

i voted not

thankfuly, it works for me, but when I didnt have it, i almost died of sadness.

if i had it, and my PC wasnt up to snuff, i could upgrade in 1, 2 days tops.
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

If you have the game and it doesn't run, then you at least have the chance to figure out a way to make it run .
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I have Alpha Centauri also, somewhere around here.

Civ IV is well kind of fully 3-D. The map has perspective from front to back and the squares get smaller, but the front to back distance is not all that great. The map zooms in quite far, and the volume of the music goes up or down depending how far the zoom perspective you are using. When you get to about the size of the tiles used in Alpha Centauri, you would not even hear the music, so zooming in almost all the way is something new.

So, the game of Civ IV is completly different and although more like a Civ game with the map while AC is more pronounced with the elevations, the entire game of Civ IV is way different. All the info is like pop-ups and presented on the main map, so less has to be done with the other screens although they still can be important.
                  The wonder movies have the game map in the background and do not take up the entire screen, but are in front of the main map.

A couple of slowdowns in Civ IV but that is covered in other threads. I just Alt-Tab out of the game for a minute than the lagginess goes away.

It has some issues, but the game's interface is well -- different -- but still the same in a sense. A lot of info is on the Main Screen map of the game -- all of it in fact!

The camera can move to a 45 degree angle on both sides and no further (yet) and the game is basically made to be mutli-player (but I may never try that!)

xml and python programming will be used when the SDK comes out next year, and probably most of the game can be changed, if the modder desires plus all the maps and mods that can be built using the WorldBuilder and the SDK when the SDK comes out. Perhaps even the xml files can be changed around to 'tweak' the game much like Civ II scenarios were built, but probably even better in Civ IV.

In a sense except for Wonder Movies and such (and who knows until one really deals with the editing capabilities) that almost, Alpha Centauri almost could be built (however a very long endeavor) with Civ IV editing capabilities, perhaps!
                  It depends as I may be exagerating a little there, but still the modding may really be almost like that!
                  Although if you had new wonder movies, maybe those could be added into the scenarios -- unknown at this time about how much can be done with Civ IV, but I think it will be quite a lot of modding, since 3 or 4 scenarios are included with the game as it is now!

Comment

Just because you're going to rip your hair out if you even get to play a little bit of it before it becomes unplayable. Its that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      If you have the game and it doesn't run, then you at least have the chance to figure out a way to make it run .
                      If it doesn´t run I know why. And I seriously need a new motherboard, cpu and RAM

Comment

I KNEW my old pc wouldn't run it, so I prepared ahead of time and got a new one with a decent vid card. Other than still paying for the computer, no regrets.

Voted "having the game and not being able to play it."

Comment

Jaybe, that is the sensible way to do it of course. But I just had to buy that new SonyEricsson W800 mobile...

Comment

I have the game but it's so painfully slow on my laptop.. I am almost considering playing it on the office pc
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I had the game for almost a week now, and it is painfully slow on my home comp (movies are so choppy they are unwatcable ). Alas, I have no other comp to play it on. But at least it runs.

Comment

Working...
                              X