Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's like I'm playing an alpha

Hello guys,

Like all of you I'm a civilization fanatic ever since Civ I and Colonization (wayyy back in time).

I been waiting eagerly for Civilization 4, and when I got it I ripped off the box practically .

First, got my tech thingie in french.
    Second, I have an ATI card 9800 Pro, so I had to do the 09128390123123 steps to get the init render thing working
    Third, The game sometimes freezes or boots me to desktop
    Fourth, around the Renaissance era, the game becomes so sluggish and slow it's painful to play, like there is a memory leak somewhere.

Specs:
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 2.2ghz
    1024 Corsair XMS Ram
    Radeon 9800 Pro 256

I have all settings on low, I've played it windowed and full screen and it's driving me nuts.

Sid, the game is great, too bad it's unplayable.

Did I buy an alpha/beta or is that the real release?
    asdasd

hopefully this will be cleared up in the patch

Comment

I also have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 meg and it's running fine with all settings on high with no anti-aliasing. My AGP apature size is set to 128 megs. Catalyst 5.10 drivers, all settings are on application preference, Catalyst Control Center.

I suspect your problem may be with your AGP drivers and/or chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Yes, there are some issues, but if the game is generally running, but you are getting crashing to desktop, that's not the same issue that many have where the game won't init the graphics.

Comment

A turn can take up to 3 minutes on my machine in modern era. There must be some software related performance issue.
        ==========================
        www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

With all due respect, you haven't seen the alpha .
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Just what Dida said, it takes 3-4 minutes per turn in modern era.

Sometimes the graphics become corrupted (with a black background).

I also have latest drivers including catalyst 5.10 (I applied the whole init rendering trick).

The game righ tis is unplayable, I love the few games I've played so far, but I'm really disappointed in Firaxis at the moment.

Alpha Centauri is such a great game, out of the box it delivered. Civ4 right now isn't
            asdasd

Comment

No such problems here. Civ4 works great out of the box, and time between turns is just a couple of seconds.

I'm sure there are people for who SMAC didn't work out of the box. Happens for every game.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

exactly Boris...

I have not had any problems at all.

The game works perfectly for me.

And I have even made modifications and such.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                X