1 GB memory reuquired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 GB memory reuquired

Run CIV4 from beginning to end of spacrace at lowest difficulty. Just before the 4 last turn, the game crshed.
    Restaring at the latest autasve showed a memory footp 800 MB. I believe that the game crahed when it ran out of memory. I have 512 MB of RAM and about 300 MB used before starting which gives at least 1100 MB when the game crashed.
    The game frequently stopped in order to swap to the harddisk. making the game not very enjoyable.

i believe from reading other threads that Civ IV is a memory hog even when you exit the game it still hogs the sytem. I always have to reboot afterplaying Civ IV.

I am not shure but read that the patch should fix this problem, but could be wrong. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Comment

I can't say that I've seen evidence of Civ 4 hogging memory after I've closed it. If its not releasing some memory, it must be pretty small.

Comment

I've got a gig, it doesn't help a whole lot on larger games.
        I played most of yesterday useing a "small" world with 5 enemies, and it didn't crash once. though all the movies except for the religion ones still have sound skipping issues. I'm not thrilled with whatever they used to encode them.

Chern

Comment

One of my computers runs on 256 MB Ram (Win XP), and Civ IV runs smoothly (even on bigger maps), so I think the problem is somewhere else...

Comment

I have RAM problems too. 512 MB RAM... civ creates a 500 MB swap file.

Comment

I have a machine that recently got upgraded from 1G to 3G. Very little difference. I think the working set is a lot smaller than the nominal address space.

Comment

My desktop is an AMD 64 300+ with 1GB of dual channel DDR400, SATA 7200RPM hard drive, and a high end 256MB video card. I have not had one problem with CIV4 hogging memory or even making a swap file. It runs 100% fine on my desktop, my laptop on the other hand is a totally different story. It runs the opening credits bad and when the game loads I cant see any of the terrain. I just see my units and a black surface.

My laptop is a full sized (not mobil) P4 2300 and has 778MB of DDR400 ram (128 dedicated to video). I am just thinking its my slow 4200RPM 2MB cache U66 hard drive that is messing it up.

Comment

Sounds more like the video. If you have a laptop where memory can be divided between video and regular RAM, you probably have a video chipset which lacks the hardware support Civ4 needs.

Comment

I still think its the HD. I have been looking into getting a new one for it and by reading user tests I have found out that a Hitatchi Travelstar U100 8MB Cache 7200RPM hard drive has about a 45% preformance increase over my current generic U66 2MB Cache 4200RPM hard drive. I mean as new as my system is even Diablo 2 runs bad on it.

Comment

That's absolutely not an indication of the HD. Diablo doesn't make nearly the use of the disk drive that Civ 4 does.

Find out what video card you have. Really! Find out exactly what model it is and what options it has. You may just be screwed.

Comment

ATI Radeon IGP 345M Ver. 6.14 intergrated graphics

Upon reading several reviews and comparisons this isnt really that bad of a video card for being intergrated. I have seen posts on this site of people playing with both lower end ATI and NVidia cards (and lower rated) then what I have built on.

Comment

I have played a great game ona small map admittedly no lag,no slow downs nice and smooth and a joy to play and my specs are

Pentium 4 1.5gb
                          384 RAM
                          Geoforce2

Don't really understand all the fuss

maybe i am just lucky i was ready to upgrade my pc which i will but it can wait till next year now

Comment

Hmm

Since I started to play CIV4 the graphic have been very unstabile. I needed to reboot the game once in a while because when i scrolled in the world it just became a fuss of lines and colors. I am using Geforce 6600Gt Pci express. I had the latest Nvidia drivers before but they where crap so I have the drivers that was with Battle field 2 instead.

The intro-movies are very ugly and it is a disturbence that flashes constantly.

But that is not the big problem anymore. After playing to the 1400-AC on a huge map with 8 players I saved and turned the game off. Tha next day I was loading the game it hung when the loading were finished. I just restarted and retried. Now The monitor just got into a powersaving mode and then took down my resolution to 640Xsomething.

I have now the dualview function active with my monitors and when I got the tasklist open in one of the monitors I can look att the swapfile that are getting filled with CIV-information. At first only the ram was affected but when I loaded my game the Swapfile grew from 300 to 850 Mb. At 850 The game freezed and my monitors went to powersaving-mode again.

I cant quite understand what the problem is.

My Comp.
                            Intel pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
                            RAM 512 666mhz
                            Geforce 6600Gt Pci express. Nvidia 77 drivers.
                            Windows XP service pack 1

I think that is enough for me to play CIV at a high level graph whitout having problems, but it seems like i am at fault.

But it doesnt seem like the game is hunging due to the harddrive swapfile is getting full because I have set it to 1500Mb. SO it didnt get full. It stayed at 850 Mb.

Comment

Are you quite sure those BF2 drivers are 100% good? Some of your problems really sound driver-related.

Comment

Working...
                              X