Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take to load this save?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take to load this save?

Okay, I am just curious - I will save my experience until later.

But download the attached save game and try and load it - how long does it take until you can actually move around, smoothly, in the game? Not until it says Done, but until you actually can play?

Please post your results, I am very curious. NOTE: the game is based on a slightly modded TurnInfo file, nothing else changed, just the number of turns and some of the multipliers. It SHOULD load...

Venger

File is here (too large to attach)

Four minutes to load and then another 30 seconds to be able to move smoothly. In case specs make a difference, I have a P4 2.4GHZ with 512 ram and an Geforce FX 5200.

Comment

a little less than a minute, say 45 seconds from beginning the load to being able to move a unit. Maybe even less than that.

Pentium D830
      3GB Ram
      GeForce 6800

Comment

Interesting to compare..

1:56 to load.

Athlon64 3000+
        1GB ram

1:05 to load
        Athlon64 4000+
        1GB ram
        74GB raptor, 10K

I clearly didn't have enough ram as i noticed swapping to disk, 1.1GB memory was used.

i see your play time so far was 32 hours
        Last edited by AOH; November 5, 2005, 22:30.

Comment

1:52, in a fresh session of Civ IV (just after load the program).

Then, I decided reload the same game, without exiting Civ IV. The time was 4:47.
          Memory issues, I presume...

P4 2.0 GH
          2 GB RAM
          GeForce FX 5600
          RIAA sucks
          The Optimistas
          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I don't know if you guys have realized this, but you can start the game by double clicking on a saved game, rolls straight into the save, bypassing the menus. Pretty neat feature, IMHO.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks, asleepathewheel!
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

2:33

amd xp3200
                1 gb

reload from within the game: 5:30

Comment

It'll wait until the theme to the "Lion King" is over.

Comment

I too have noticed the seriously long reload times - for some reason it is tons faster to exit the program, then load, than to try and reload. Weird.

AOH - What an odd difference - the 4000+ is not twice as fast - nowhere near it - as the 3000+, but you are getting a much faster load time. Since the save game is only 650k, you'd think most of the load time is memory access, though the pagefile obviously can bring disk access into play. Thing is, I bet your throughput on the Raptor is actually lower than the throughput on my 250GB drive - the 10k is great for seeks, but data density tends to rule on transfer rate. Very interesting.

FYI, on my system, after a reboot, the it takes 25 seconds until it says Done (lying Microsoft-like progress bar), another 30 seconds until Boba Fett stops playing, and another 55 seconds until I can move.

If I play the game and exit, or try and reload - double it, easy. In fact, up to 5 minutes...

Venger

Comment

Originally posted by AOH

i see your play time so far was 32 hours
                      Yep - I figure 4 of those were lag time, but that's still a nice little Civ game going, and it's maybe halfway done... if the game wasn't good I'd have simply trashed it with my problems, but it IS good, so I am fighting through it...

Venger

Comment

Working...
                      X