Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to sail around the world without ever leaving the waters of your home continent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sail around the world without ever leaving the waters of your home continent

A nice feature/exploit/design flaw I discovered today.

I was playing Atlantis (formerly Germany with Fredrick ), with Japan as only neighbor on my continent and had already contact to 4 of the 7 AI Civs on the (huge) Map.
    Had already discovered Optics, but I had no intention of building caravels so far, as my focus was on improving my home continent which is why my fleet consisted of a single trireme

So one turn I decided to make some diplomacy with the AI, trading world maps and techs with the other leaders.
    I got 3-4 world maps from the other leaders out of my deals and suddenly the message appeared, that I had sailed around the world and therefore from now on get +1 Movement for my ships

So I examined my new world map closely and discovered,
    that, through my world map trades, I had gotten a world map with a path of uncovered tiles leading around the world
    I assume that the other AI leaders have incomplete maps with parts of said path missing, which is why I my Civ was declared to be the first nation to sail around the world
    Attached Files
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

how come no one commented?seems cool to me
    Last edited by Kataphraktoi; November 5, 2005, 16:53.
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Nicely done.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

That's one H3LL of a Trireme!

-=Vel=-

Teh 733T Trireme Roxors!
        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I was playing on an archepilego map and was able to island hop from coast to coast all the way around the globe. All I had left to do was go through some of Egypt's territory - easy since I had open borders with them.

Right as I approached Egypt from the other side of my cities, they closed the borders and didn't allow me to complete the circumnavagation.

I was able to go to the north, find another route that I couldn't pass through because of 1 ocean tile. I got another galley from the other side, and 'met' my ship that circled the globe. This completed the map and got me my +1 movement.

If playing on an arphipelago map, try circumnavagating early by island hopping. Load up a warrior/archer and collect goodie huts along the way.
          It is worth it.
          Early to rise, Early to bed.
          Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

I usually get boarder blocked as well or behind the tech race
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

That happened with me, too. Very cool.

Comment

I think the only way for this to happen is:

At one point, you didn't trade YOUR world map for HIS/HERS. If you always trade world map for world map, then the last Civilization that gets to trade with you would have gotten the SAME map you do.

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr,ape
                    I think the only way for this to happen is:

At one point, you didn't trade YOUR world map for HIS/HERS. If you always trade world map for world map, then the last Civilization that gets to trade with you would have gotten the SAME map you do.
                    That´s correct.
                    I don´t know if it was the last Civ with which I traded Word Maps at this turn (I assume so) but one of the trades was one of my techs for AIs World Map.
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

It happened to me, and all of my trades were map for map. Methinks they need a new trigger for circumnavigating the globe.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

The problem is, in order for the game to REALLY set off the circumnavigation event per se, it has to keep a travel log of ALL naval units. That can potentially be a serious task for the game. Each of the naval units might have moved almost the entire the map, before it actually completes circumnavagation. It is much easier for the game to just pull a simple logic every turn, something to the effect of: has enough of the map been revealed to SEE a clear path around the globe? (if yes, then award the circumnavigation bonus).

Furthermore, it is necessary to define circumnavigation. Does it have to be completed by the same boat? How about other boats of the same fleet (define fleet)? How about other boats of an alliance?

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                          It happened to me, and all of my trades were map for map. Methinks they need a new trigger for circumnavigating the globe.
                          It makes even sense,
                          as the map trades take part in your own turn.
                          So it´s only natural for the game to give you the bonus for the circumnavigation (instead of last AI Player who also got a path around the world due to the map trade)

Originally posted by Dr,ape
                          The problem is, in order for the game to REALLY set off the circumnavigation event per se, it has to keep a travel log of ALL naval units. That can potentially be a serious task for the game. Each of the naval units might have moved almost the entire the map, before it actually completes circumnavagation. It is much easier for the game to just pull a simple logic every turn, something to the effect of: has enough of the map been revealed to SEE a clear path around the globe? (if yes, then award the circumnavigation bonus).

Furthermore, it is necessary to define circumnavigation. Does it have to be completed by the same boat? How about other boats of the same fleet (define fleet)? How about other boats of an alliance?
                          There might be a solution which uses less processing power than the method you mentioned.
                          Just let the game keep a second, internal world map which only shows those tiles uncovered which were really seen by your units during the game (i.e. it excludes all the tiles which were only uncovered due to map trades but were never "seen" by one of your own units).
                          It wouldn´t ensure that the world was circumnavigated by the same ship, but at least it would ensure that it were ships from your civilization which were responsible for creating the path around the world
                          (the game would "just" have to keep track of a second boolean matrix [tile_uncovered (x,y)] with the map size for every civilization in the game. )
                          Last edited by Proteus_MST; November 7, 2005, 04:16.

Comment

Strictly speaking, this isn't a hack or an exploit. Do you really have to go all around the world yourself to know that it's possible? Wasn't Magellan's circumnavigation of the Earth basically complete when he reached the Philippines, at least from the perspective of exploration? It is a little strange to get a +1 for map trading, but it's a little strange to get it even if you actually did send a ship all the way around the world.

Comment

Working...
                            X