War is a mindset, it seems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dactyl
    Here's a trick I've noticed that the AI will sometimes play. Say that civ X is at war with civ Y. After a while civ X asks you to join the war against Y. You gladly join in and, on the very next turn X makes peace with Y and you are stuck fighting Y alone.
    real nice

hopefully you ask for peace on the next turn as well
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

You can't (which is why the AI does this, not as a 'trick'). There's a waiting period before you can make peace after declaring war. The AI who's asking you to go to war would probably make peace immediately, if they could, but they are stuck waiting. So they ask you to go to war to help them, but then the waiting period is up, so they can make peace. You, then, have to deal with your own waiting period before you can get peace.

Bh

Comment

Defensive wars are much easier to handle in my experience, you have the advantage of faster healing, faster movement, faster reinforcements and city defense bonus. The big mistake I made early on before starting to understand the AI was that I left my internal area relatively unguarded, the enemy will try to sneak in and pillage or get to weakly guarded cities. That's why you must leave some units scattered throughout the nation and ready to intervene.

I have never suceeded in offensive military campaigns against more than one worthy opponent at once, but to invade at one front and keep the enemy at bay on the other is more realistic.
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          since upgrade paths go all the way up, there is no real excuse to neglect building military units. Long as you have the gold to updgrade that is . And as far as I can tell, they don't lose their promotions with the upgrades (unlike civ3 where elites became veteran).
          I believe when you upgrade you drop down to the last threshold you passed. For example a 16/17 EXP archer upgrades to a 10/17 longbowman.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Which makes upgrading totally not worth it. Just build a new unit for cheaper.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Well you just have to time it. Wait till that archer wins one more battle, gets to 17, and upgrade it then.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I thought it 10 XP max. So 18/17 archer upgrades to 10/27 longbowman?

Comment

Working...
                X