Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROFL! Ingame Humor

Upon trying to establish diplomatic contact with Mongolia:

Hello, this is Kublai Khan. Mongolia is not at home right now; Please leave your name and number and we'll get back to you when pigs have wings
    Others?

That's a good one!
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

Comment

Well, having Al Gores picture on the Internet Wonder icon made me chuckle

Comment

"Snacks are good in moderation"

RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

"beep... beep... beep... beep..." anyone?
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Actually, while the game flows over with fun elements, that one is just plain silly and irritating.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I just love Al Gore. I don't know why I find that so funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                I just love Al Gore. I don't know why I find that so funny.
                Because he was able to lie so blatantly with a perfectly straight face?

Comment

about what? Al Gore WAS responsible for opening the internet for general use, though 'inventing' it was a poor choice of words. Still funny, though

Comment

Originally posted by thewoozle
                    about what? Al Gore WAS responsible for opening the internet for general use, though 'inventing' it was a poor choice of words. Still funny, though
                    Deadpan funny to someone who didn't have a clue that Gore had anything to do with opening up the Internet.

It also amuses me how AI civs will call me puny when i'm 5 or 6 times their size.
                    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by thewoozle
                      Actually, he said "creating", not "inventing". Might be a subtle difference, but I find it relevant.

But the Al Gore icon for the Internet was indeed hilarious. I never liked the electronic monolith it had in Civ3, and I always thought it'd be funny if it had been a statue of Al Gore instead. Firaxis delivered!

Comment

Actually, he said "creating", not "inventing". Might be a subtle difference, but I find it relevant.
                        This is true, he said he was "responsible for the legislation that created it." And inasmuch as spending money that isn't yours to encourage people that aren't you to spread technology you didn't design can be called "creating", then he was telling the truth. At least it's no more ridiculous than every politician in recent history claiming to have "created" jobs.

Nevertheless, even Bill Clinton has joked about it and used the word "invented." So as is often the case, the joke survives on it's own outside the facts. The reason I didn't laugh is not because of any factual origin, but because it's so totally played out. And it's not even at a nostalgic comeback point yet where it gets kitch points, like if you had clicked on Montezuma and he said "wazaaaap!"

I did chuckle at "Never fight a land war in Asia." Also, for some reason Leonard Nimoy quoting the graduate amused me greatly.

Comment

Working...
                        X