Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

partial performance improvement - repost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• partial performance improvement - repost?

I only joined up to comment on a fix that I saw yesterday - now of course I can't find the original post - the search function here is, well, poor, unless there is something else hidden in the menus.

I've been playing on a laptop that drastically exceeds the min/recommended specs, but performance was dreadful. Yesterday I saw a comment that Civ4 seemed to be set up as a low priority process in Windows.

This rang a bell for me, because my desktop runs the game extremely well as long as I turn off Folding At Home client - I noticed that FAH got all of the processer time when both were running.

On the laptop, I bumped the priority from "Normal" to "Above Normal" in the task list. Suddenly game starts, loads, lag times, etc. are all much faster - it was taking me 1 min+ to load a save, now about 10 sec for example.

I take no credit for this - some other clever person noticed it and posted, I just can't find the post. If someone can link it, or xfer my comment to that thread, what have you.

Thanks a lot,

Scott

Question...

Is there a way to run Civ 4 in above normal priority without alt-tabbing when you have it running? If I alt-tab graphics kinda screw up a little and such.

Maybe a shortcut command or something?

Good idea or good work, either of the two!

Comment

I tried this and the game keeps setting itself to 'BelowNormal' - try playing for a few minutes then alt-tab and recheck the priority - I think you'll see it's reset to what it was originally.

This indicates that perhaps it might be set here for a reason... ?

Comment

I think this is because when Civ 4 is minimised it turn the priority at below normal. But when you activate the screen he is going at High Priority. But I'm not sure...
        see ya

see ya
        Originally posted by meowsqueak
        I tried this and the game keeps setting itself to 'BelowNormal' - try playing for a few minutes then alt-tab and recheck the priority - I think you'll see it's reset to what it was originally.

This indicates that perhaps it might be set here for a reason... ?
        bleh

Comment

I play in windowed mode, and i can tell you for sure that Windows XP immediately sets your Civ4 back to "Normal" priority as soon as it gains focus (is re-maximized).

Does anyone know a way to get Civ4 to keep a high priority?

Comment

Working...
          X