Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphics slowdown fix/Update Motherboard chipset drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics slowdown fix/Update Motherboard chipset drivers.

Ok if you have tried every other suggestion you can find and still have bad graphics slowdown(either constant or as the game progresses) try this.

Find out what AGP chipset is installed on your Motherboard. This may take some doing with Dells' or Gateways, but you should be able to track it down if you are stubborn enough. Common manufacturers are Via and SiS.

Go to thier websites and download the latest drivers and install them. This fixed ALL my graphics slowdown and a good hunk of my CTD's.

I still have choppy movies and the occasional CTD still but the game is SO much more playable.

I would like to take full credit here but can't this, was suggested on a another forum and I can;t track the original post down to give proper credit where it is due.

I want to stress that this is something that needs to be tried by people. I had gone through updating everything else... and was still getting major slowdowns once I hit the 1700's or so. I checked, and my motherboard drivers (nForce2 here) were over a year old. Soooo, I got the new ones, did the uninstall/reinstall process, and my game is now pretty playable in the mid- to late-stages.

I still don't have ideal performance once there's lots of stuff around, but I chalk that up to A: I'm only BARELY at "recommended" spec (1.8ish CPU, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600) and B: my propensity for playing on the largest possible maps.

So, thanks for crossposting this, Rad. I knew I was forgetting one last thing to check, and this worked.
    www.triskelegames.com

Comment

Your August Sirs,

Your post got me thinking about why my game was so slow. I started to down load the latest chipset and Bios drivers. In the process of doing that, I discovered that there was a missmatch in the Bios setting for AGP memory support settings (64K) and my graphics card (256), Duh!

Fixed that and it made a big improvement.

Jack Noir

Comment

Is there an easy way to check what chipset you have?

I have an HP Pavilion zd7000...

I'm going to look around HP's site for the information, but i'd like to know if there's some place in windows where i can relatively quickly find this information.

Comment

Unfortunately probably not. I was able to do it cause I self built my PC and had full access to my MB specs. You may have to bug HP about it directy. Only probalem is that most of the first line tech support may not know the answer either.

Comment

When the computer boots up you can have it show the various boot details at the beginning (usually by pressing "del" if it normally hides them). The chipset would be stated there, but it might be hard to spot. However, very often if a major company assembled your computer, then you can go to their website and get the latest drivers for it.

I think you should also be able to find out the chipset in the bios...but I am not sure about that. You can also open the computer up, usually the name is written on the motherboard somewhere.

-Drachasor
            "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

A good way to figure it out is follows. Warning: You really shouldn't attempt to update your motherboard drivers unless you really know what you're doing or have good tech support available for your PC. It can get a little touchy at times, depending on your chipset.

1. Right click on your "My Computer" icon
              2. Select Properties
              (System panel appears)
              3. Select the Hardware tab
              4. Click "Device Manager"
              5. Click the + next to System Devices
              6. Find the device described (possibly) as "XX AGP Host to PCI Bridge" (name will vary; on mine XX is NVIDIA nForce2 for example).
              7. Is this name isn't sufficent, select the device, right-click it and select Properties.
              -There will now be a Manufacturer listed on that screen. That should be sufficient to find out where to at least start looking for updated drivers.

As mentioned above, please do not try updating your drivers without a system backup or some other safety measure if you don't really know what you're doing. This is sort of an "under the hood" thing, and can be a wee bit more complex than updating a video card driver. Hope this works, though.
              www.triskelegames.com

Comment

Working...
              X