Meaningless Poll #386

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaningless Poll #386

Most of us are familiar with Civ III, and the luckier ones have become acquainted with Civ IV lately.
    Caravans
    6.25%
    Elvis
    9.38%
    Drunk and Merry Military Advisor
    12.50%
    Arguing Advisors During Anarchy
    12.50%
    Longer Gameplay (more epic feel)
    9.38%
    Paratroops
    7.81%
    Alpine Troops
    0.00%
    Diplomats / Establishing Embassies
    0.00%
    Cruise Missiles
    3.13%
    Crusaders
    0.00%
    Fanatics
    0.00%
    Partisans
    0.00%
    AEGIS Cruisers
    0.00%
    Barbarian Leaders for Ransoms
    1.56%
    Spies with Power!
    3.13%
    Chancing Triremes/Gallies in Sea/Ocean squares
    1.56%
    Civil Wars
    7.81%
    Discontinues Wonders (Sun Tzu, Cancer Cure...)
    0.00%
    Quality Wonder Movies
    17.19%
    Easy Modability
    1.56%
    Overall Simplicity/Playability
    3.13%
    Other
    3.13%

The Advisors in Civ2 were pretty useless in terms of actual gameplay, but they were HILARIOUS!

Civ2 also had nice Wonder movies, too, usually with human actors.

In terms of gameplay, I missed the Diplomat units that had the power to bribe enemy units into joining your ranks. That saved my behind on several occasions, as I usually neglected military production in favor of civil development -- for a handsome price of 300 gp I could save the undefended capital from a single unit of enemy unit.

Comment

For some reason, I voted for the Caravan.

Probably because it's one of the things in Civ2 that i completely forgot about once i started playing SMAC all the godaweful time.

Comment

I also miss the remote airfields!! Now that we can't put bombers on carrier units, those remote airfields would've been very useful.

Comment

Palace. Specifically, the civ-1 style palace.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Dr,ape:

But you can rebase your bombers to any owned city on the map. Why bother with carriers if one turn moves a bomber from one end of the map to the other.

Comment

Man, there's too many good things to vote for. I miss playing Civ I and Civ II. I forgot all the great things there were. I finally picked the epic feel.
              I gotta find a way to play Civ I again since I have no way to use my old floppies.
              .......shhhhhh......I'm lurking.......proud to have been stuck at settler for six years.......

Comment

Elvis. And the Egytpian ambassador Once amazon finally sends me my "presale" edition, I may find Catherine replacing the ambassador in my fantasies, if she's as hot as many posts indicate.
                The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Ahh.. the egyptian ambassador.. many a teenage eye spent far too long waiting for her legs to open again I'll bet. I know mine did.

Personally I voted for the wonder movies though. You just can't beat them. The Eiffel tower movie still makes me want to play civ2 even though I havent seen it in years.
                  I used to be Darkknight.. many many moons ago. "CTP2 is almost out!!" time.

Comment

Oh - and most of the poll options are Civ 2 stuff, not classic Civ.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I miss Caravans. I used to send them with armies and then declare war and move them into enemy cities. Then I would use the mountain of cash to fund the war against the people who had just paid me for the caravans. Hey, why does that sound familiar?

Comment

Stuie - I can't think of any thing that was in the original Civ and not in Civ2.

Comment

I vote civil wars because my very first civ 1 game, my empire fell victim to it when I lost Beijing to the Russians.

Needless to say, I lost that game, but I had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                            Dr,ape:

But you can rebase your bombers to any owned city on the map. Why bother with carriers if one turn moves a bomber from one end of the map to the other.
                            Or FRIENDLY city. Rebase them to London if want to attack Paris. Aftr the war you can gift one for Vicky

Comment

To be honest, I'm most nostalgic for the original Civ. Heck, I even liked CivNet, despite how horribly buggy it was. I had some of the best multiplayer games I've ever played using CivNet.

As for specific things from your list, though, I'd have to say the Civ2 wonder movies. Those were just great.
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X