Clear All

• Slowdown with ti4200

I'm having a hard time with my copy of Civ4... specs:

AMD Athlon 2100+
    XFX GF ti4200
    1gb RAM
    30gb or so HD space free
    Onboard sound

Anyway, this is just nasty graphical slowdown... Civ 4 runs at around 1fps when in zoomed in mode. When zoomed all the way out, there are no problems. The slowdown affects all aspects of civ4. For example, if I check the tech tree when zoomed in, the scroll bar scroll in the tech tree screen (f6) is horribly jerkily. However, when zoomed out, it's fine. I've tried the different graphical settings in Civ4, no difference in speed with any of them.

The slow frame rate occurs from the start of the game, even on tiny & dual worlds. I've got one standard game up to around 1500AD, and the slowdown is identical to the slowdown at the start. There are no graphical glitches at all, so a screenshot will be of no help whatsoever.

I installed on a different machine... an AMD 3500+, onboard gfx I think. It gave me a warning about graphics not being supported, and I had some small flood plain glitches. However, scroll speed and update speed were absolutely fine.

I have the new nVidia drivers installed now, I installed directx 9.0c when civ asked me to (although I already had 9.0c, might have been a different build). I've been playing around with lots of settings, pixel shading, etc, to no avail.

Any help appreciated... it's basically taking all enjoyment from the game. I'm going to try a re-install of Civ4 now.... hope that helps.

I have the same problem with my Ti 4200.

Comment

Good to hear I'm not alone... but still no joy after the reinstall... it's virtually unplayable. Anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Comment

Had the same issue had to update the drivers for the AGP chipset on the motherboard. Mine were SiS. It fixed the graphic crawl and a lot of the CTD's(but not all). It also did nothing for the choppy in game movies.

I would like to take credit for this fix, but caught it on a another forum somewhere.

Comment

Working...
        X