X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I turn autosave off?

Errr....

I cant find the option anywhere.
    The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

I could not find a way.

Comment

In My Documents\My Games\Civ4\Civilization4.ini, set AutoSaveInterval = 0.

Comment

Just found it in the ini, looks like I could have wait for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
          In My Documents\My Games\Civ4\Civilization4.ini, set AutoSaveInterval = 0.
          That didn't work, and it had a strange effect on my ini. The game made a new ini after I did that, backed up my old one, and now saves almost every round. Also that line got removed from both my new ini and the backup created by the game.

I think I'm just going to set it to some ridiculously high number.

Comment

The autosave just saves when it can, one can still be playing the game and the autosave will just not interfere with the playing of the game, as far as what I have seen!

Comment

That's the wrong ini.

Go to Civ4 game folder --> CivilizationIV.ini --> AutoSaveInterval = 0

Hope that helps.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

That ini file is just a shortcut to the one in the documents folder. The one in the documents folder is the "real" one.

Comment

Originally posted by Saldrin
                  That didn't work, and it had a strange effect on my ini. The game made a new ini after I did that, backed up my old one, and now saves almost every round. Also that line got removed from both my new ini and the backup created by the game.
                  It should work, and is the proper place for the INI unless you are using /ALTROOT in the shortcut target when running the game.

Did you add the line, or change the one already there?

Comment

why on earth would you want to turn autosave off? It's the only thing thats saved me from putting a fist through my monitor through the many crashes I've had so far. I know I'm only at most 4 turns behind where it crashed.
                    I used to be Darkknight.. many many moons ago. "CTP2 is almost out!!" time.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg
                      why on earth would you want to turn autosave off? It's the only thing thats saved me from putting a fist through my monitor through the many crashes I've had so far. I know I'm only at most 4 turns behind where it crashed.
                      Mostly because, nothing, and I mean nothing goes on my C drive except OS patches. I was very upset when I saw that that game installed stuff to my documents. I don't even use My Documents, having them hyjacked by a game in a rogue manner, when I specifically told it to install elsewhere infuriated me.

I don't even keep my pagefile on my C drive. And, I have yet to crash, knock on wood.

I would be fine if it saved like every era change or something, but by default, it felt as if everytime I looked to the game messages I saw "autosaving...". Grant it it took a whole 3-4 seconds, but I never use it (reload from save) and I just don't like it. Why keep something going if I don't use it?

*edit* I finally got it to work (not save). It was the ini in the documents folder, I changed the value as described above, but I made the ini read only (since it wanted to keep rejecting my changes). Working...er not working.... great now
                      Last edited by Saldrin; November 7, 2005, 17:43.

Comment

Working...
                      X