Civ II to Civ IV Install Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ II to Civ IV Install Test

Knowing I would be getting Civ IV but having to wait I decided to reinstall all my Civ games within the last week with all PC settings remaining similar. The computer was wiped in Oct 05 & Win XP with SP2 reinstalled. Apart from a Broadband Internet connection with Wanadoo the PC had Microsoft Works 2000 Serif PP10 + PhotoPlus & RTW with BI installed. The usual Acrobat, Quicktime, PowerDVD etc were also installed. AVG antivirus, SpyBot S&D, Ad Aware, & the WinXP Firewall were all running during installation & play.

PC is a P4 1.5GHz with 768MB RAM
    Combo CD/DVD
    Hercules Fortissimo II Sound Card
    Radeon 9600 128MB using 1024 x 768 on Highest 32 Bit Colour setting. DirectX 9.C was installed

Civ II loaded. Wouldn't work due to some Indeo Video Codec problem. Had to download a patch from Intel. Game then ran fine. Patched Civ II, added the Conflicts & Fantasy Scenarios & have been running it from an image (to protect worn CD) with no problems.

Civ III Loaded & PC locked up due to some obscure clash with my Trust Graphics Tablet (I think). Restart PC & added Conquests & PTW along with patches. Have played 1 game without trouble but otherwise have had PC lock up on trying to exit game forcing a reboot on a number of occasions.

Civ IV arrived today. Bit apprehensive having read of all the problems others have had. Followed screens & loaded DirectX & Civ IV from DVD within 6 mins. Didn't see an option to load it on anything but C:/ (other games are on a Partition), otherwise everything seemed to go fine. Game ran straight away & had a quick look at tutorial. Since then I have restarted the PC & tried the game in single player, without turning off any background or other services, & with the internet connection on & off.

So far I have had absolutely no problems with running Civ IV & all other progs seem ok as well. Of the three installs the Civ IV was the easiest &, so far, most succesful.

Your not being fair, I can load Civ2 & 3 today with no problems either. Back in the day I couldn't wait for Civ2 to release. I bought it and couldn't run it for about 2 weeks. Back then You could go to Microprose site on Aol and post messages to Brian Reynolds and Jeff Briggs and get a response back on the progress of patches. Sometimes Sid himself would Post. That was before Aol went to unlimited useage and became a giant babysetting service. Civ3 worked out of the box for me,but I'm greatfull for all the patches and I remember the problems others posted on the boards about. This ain't my first county fair. I've been through this with almost every software manufacturer. What sucks is that the dont keep the community posted on progress and acknowledge That they're on it. Its just as bad that the community trashes them like spoiled children. I appreciate the hours some are putting in trying to figure this out, But I think We're waiting for a patch

Comment

Re: Civ II to Civ IV Install Test

Originally posted by Stumple
      Didn't see an option to load it on anything but C:/ (other games are on a Partition)
      Just choose the "Custom Installation" option. The whole point of that is to let you choose where you install it

As far as installation/gameplay problems, I really don't think the problems are as widespread as the forums will lead you to believe. People are having issues, yes, but the ones with problems are going to be much more vocal than the ones without. They, for the most part, are off playing the game rather than talking about it.

Congratulations on your purchase. I, for one, think it's the best Civ yet

Comment

Re: Re: Civ II to Civ IV Install Test

Originally posted by Sabre2th

Just choose the "Custom Installation" option. The whole point of that is to let you choose where you install it

As far as installation/gameplay problems, I really don't think the problems are as widespread as the forums will lead you to believe. People are having issues, yes, but the ones with problems are going to be much more vocal than the ones without. They, for the most part, are off playing the game rather than talking about it.

Congratulations on your purchase. I, for one, think it's the best Civ yet
        GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Originally posted by WiggleStick
          Your not being fair, I can load Civ2 & 3 today with no problems either. Back in the day I couldn't wait for Civ2 to release. I bought it and couldn't run it for about 2 weeks. Back then You could go to Microprose site on Aol and post messages to Brian Reynolds and Jeff Briggs and get a response back on the progress of patches. Sometimes Sid himself would Post. That was before Aol went to unlimited useage and became a giant babysetting service. Civ3 worked out of the box for me,but I'm greatfull for all the patches and I remember the problems others posted on the boards about. This ain't my first county fair. I've been through this with almost every software manufacturer. What sucks is that the dont keep the community posted on progress and acknowledge That they're on it. Its just as bad that the community trashes them like spoiled children. I appreciate the hours some are putting in trying to figure this out, But I think We're waiting for a patch
          WiggleStick represent. I think that everyone with Civ 4 problems would be a lot less ornery if everyone with working copies was like WiggleStick

Plus, I mean your Civ 3 problems have to be cause of your machine. I mean its been patched right?

Comment

Working...
          X