Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slavery

Hi,

What do you think of hurrying production with slavery? I find it very efficient, almost too much! The penalties seem not as important as they should be.

What's your opinion?

Its actually not that great. Its usually worth it to keep your pop and rushing them only in emergencies.

Comment

I have yet to use it. I seems like taking a step backwards to kill off your people. Long term consequences for short term gain. I never used it in Civ3 either.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

it sometimes comes in handy. usually in emergencies. but works well also when you have extra happies and want a building\unit quick.
        Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

It is good if you are in a race against time against other civs. I have used it in multiplayer quite often

Comment

Well, if you are not early founder or religion or have no monarchy you'll quickly start gaining unhappy citizens.

They are useless.
            Of the other hand, using such citizens for rushing 30shileds makes them useful.
            You gain aprox 30 shields, for 10 turns (time for unrest to pass).
            So such citizen became worth 3 shileds, instead of 0.

Comment

I used the heck out of it once I got really good at Civ3. There are some early game situations in Civ3 where pop rushing could be abused to terrifying levels of effectiveness.

I haven't seen it be terribly useful thusfar in Civ4, however. The only cases where I've even seen someone use it is in emergencies in an MP game (under attack).
              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Well, the good thing is that unlike in Civ3, production carries over.
                So 2 pop rush can usually buy two axemen or similar units in 2 turns (just 1 rushing for 1 unhappy face).

Comment

Actually, I recant of what I said about slavery. I've been using it a fair amount in my current game, and it is actually seeming pretty balanced. As long as the cities have good food supplies, you can quick build something, then switch the city to gathering up as much food to replenish the slave populace. Then once you've rebuilt the lost population, switch over to gathering as much hammers again as need be.

And if you have unhappy citizens, it is especially worthwhile!

Comment

Working...
                  X