Can't find CD problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find CD problem

So Civ 4 is finally here and I've got my hands on the UK version on the day of release: great! I'm aware it may not run smoothly, what does first go?

But... but... it won't even recognise the sodding disk it came on! Got to start it and it hangs for a couple of minutes before telling me to insert the correct CD. Er... hello? The correct DVD is inthe drive. I just installed the game from it.

Anyone got any solutions?

Hmmm, even better... it would appear that once I try to run Civ4, my machine no longer even sees the DVD drive! Absolutely amazing.

Comment

congratulations, you got the game installed.

my dvd isnt even being recognised and after 24 hours i am a bit upset to say the least

Cati

Comment

Eek, thats not good catij!

Still, with any luck it'll be playable around Christmas!

Comment

It has the Safedisc copy protection on there, and it HATES that you have Alcohol, Daemon, or Blindwrite installed on your computer...

If you have these installed, and really REALLY bought the game, search for Anti-Blaxx 1.17. Install it, and tell it where those programs are installed, and it will "hide" those programs while Civ runs. Good luck.

Comment

I've got a similar problem with the UK DVD version. My DVD drive doesn't seem to like the disc at all - when I put it in it doesn't spin up properly, it just spins a bit and keeps clicking (I'm guessing it's having trouble reading it so keeps seeking back to the start, or something). I've checked my drive with lots of other DVDs and they work fine. I returned the Civ DVD to the shop and swapped it for a new one, but that's exactly the same. I don't have anything remotely dodgy on the PC (unless it counts Nero, but it'd be a bit paranoid to be upset by that).

The DVD did work once (not first time, but after lots of trying), and managed to install the game, but since then it's having none of it.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Comment

i did evetually get game installed as after hours it decided to recognise dic all on its own but now it not recognise disc to play it. and Rob you got it in one the disc just doesnt spin. i am wondering if it just doesnt like my Lg DVd rom?

any thoughts appreciated

Cati

Comment

It turns out that I can get around this simply by leaving the DVD in the drive for long enough. After about 10 minutes, the disc finally spins up the game starts.

Hope this helps with other people too.

Comment

Yep I've got problems with an LG drive too.

In Australia they only have a DVD version too. When I put the DVD in my LG GDR-8161B the drive does not even recognise that the disk exists at all, so I can't even start installing the game. I put the same disk in my laptop and it sees the disk fine.

Running XP. I don't have any no-disc or other dodgy software on the machine.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                  X