Wow Slowdown :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falconer999

I have a 9600XT and 1gb of RAM and game runs smoothly at 1600x1200, all details on high and 2x anti-aliasing. Except, as noted above, when you get to the point where the World Map is revealed. It isn't a video card issue. I believe there is a memory leak that is opened up somewhere at this point.

I've done a little testing with windows task manager and before the world map, I'll check and see how much memory is being used, then after the world map is revealed. Once it is revealed, as time goes by the memory used just mushrooms.
    I'm 99.9% convinced it's a memory leak that's causing this for me as well. Civ 4 got my system up to 2.9 GB commit charge prior to blue screening on a Huge map. Hadn't really noticed the corealation to the uncovering of the world map, but this would make sense as my Civ games start slowing down to glacial speeds and crashing every 30 seconds or so right around the time I get sattelites or have uncovered most of the map via naval exploration.

My gaming machine (P4 3GHz HT w/ 1GB PC3200 & FX 5900 Ultra 256MB) has had basically no problems pushing 30+ fps in Doom 3/Half Life 2/AoEIII/most any other game I've loaded on it at 1680x1050 w/ most of the sparklies turned on (usually only run 2x AA and some render features of some of the shooters aren't supported by my card) and I can reproduce the same behavior on one my old machine that just barely squeaks in over the minimum required specs (Athlon 1333 w/ 1GB PC133, GF 4 ti 4600 256MB). I've also reloaded WinXP and tried each of the last 3 versions of the NVidia drivers on my main gaming machine to make sure there wasn't any kind of cruft sitting around that might be causing the issue w/ no luck.

At least there seems to be a patch on its way next week.

Comment

Lets hope said patch does the job. At least its out in time for Christmas, just like the game
      "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Working...
      X