graphics issue with triangle artifacts with 3D models on screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• graphics issue with triangle artifacts with 3D models on screen

This isn't specifically a CIV IV issue, but I'm hoping I'll catch the right person that has a clue. I think my problem is either hardware or a setting that I'm missing.

SYSTEM:
    nvidia 6800 GT / (any driver set, including most recent ones, both tweaked and returned to default). 1.7 gig CPU with 1.5 gig memory.

no problem With other 3D programs, including the globe at the begining of CIV IV.

ISSUE:
    During gameplay with 3D environments, like in EQ2, CIV IV, or other third person wargames, there are small black triangles around the 'terrain' and large spikes and triangles that fill the screen. The artifacts seem to originate from points on models in the 3D environt.

EXAMPLES:
    In the CIV IV tutorial, no problems until the tutorial itself starts. gameplay is fine, but there's little black triangles on the borders of terrain tiles and 'spikes' extending up from half a dozen points around the terrain. If I zoom all the way out, the visible terrain turns into white lines, that cover the details.

EQ 2, played fine for a year, but now, there are one or two artifacts extending out from each model and a couple models around the terrain.

Quake 3, had this problem for a short while, but the problem went away after tweaking things in general (I think that turning off fast write in the BIOS did it).

I get the same triangles showing up on my screen in CIV and then my game will either CTD or restart my computer.

AMD 64 3000+ 1GB Corsair Ram in Dual channel config
    DFI LANPARTY NF4 DR with ATI x700 256MB pro

EDIT : The game has now become unplayable as the game will crash 1 to 2 tuns into my game after system restart and game cache clearing.

Comment

New possibility here, my motherboard battery died a while back and I'm thinking that I need to reflash the BIOS. There's a BIOS flash that includes nvidia 9700 compatibility. My problem sure seems to be narrowing down to a Motherboard compatibility or resource issue.

That would also explain why Everquest 2 developed that rather unique issue recently and it is in several games.

EDIT: flashing BIOS didn't change the problem, though it did address another one, heh.
      Last edited by thewoozle; November 4, 2005, 20:01.

Comment

Working...
      X