• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammar

"Your Swordsman has destroyed a Archer."

"Bangalore has built a Walls."

This couldn't have been hard to fix.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Re: Grammar

Originally posted by LordShiva

I've repaired small problems like this editing myself the XML files (they are text file - you can use notepad/wordpad to manage them).
    I'm away from my PC for some hours, but you can check by yourself if the quoted part is in one of the XML by searching the directory for relevant text.
    A problem could be that they use text substitution (part of the text is indeed a field the game changes with its value before display the line), so they must keep things general (sometime you need an "a", sometime an "an") before a substitution field.

You can check my thread to see with some example how I corrected mistakes in italian version. Hope it help.
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Re: Grammar

No, it would've been very easy to fix. That said, would you rather they opened a bug track on it, spent the time to hunt down what file that was in, open it, track through the code to find that line, fix it, save it, redistribute it whereever it was needed, and mark the bug off and update the fix list....

Or fixed something of slightly larger importance, like a CTD bug, an AI abuse, or an out-of-synch MP error?

There's only so much time before release, and there ARE priorities.
      Friedrich Psitalon
      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

This is quite difficult to fix in a general way; the program uses text substitution for the word "archer", so it has to have a built in routine for the English language version which parses the word, checks if it has a vowel or not as the first letter and if it is, then substitutes "n " in to make an "an".
        While I like good English grammar whenever possible, this is a pretty minor bug.

Wonder if other language support has similar issues?

Prof V.

Comment

Re: Re: Grammar

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon

No, it would've been very easy to fix. That said, would you rather they opened a bug track on it, spent the time to hunt down what file that was in, open it, track through the code to find that line, fix it, save it, redistribute it whereever it was needed, and mark the bug off and update the fix list....

Or fixed something of slightly larger importance, like a CTD bug, an AI abuse, or an out-of-synch MP error?

There's only so much time before release, and there ARE priorities.
          so, you are saying that:
          1) they already knew about ctd, ai abuse and the like when the game got gold?, or
          2) they completed the first patch and fixed all of the above mentioned, but kept yoda grammar?

Comment

I wrote a C program in intro CS where you check the first character of the word variable ("Archer," "Swordsman" etc.) and adjust the "a"/"an" accordingly.

It was very easy (like the second week's homework or something like that).
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Things like that will get fixed in the first patch. Not a big issue.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Grammar

Originally posted by LaRusso

so, you are saying that:
                1) they already knew about ctd, ai abuse and the like when the game got gold?, or
                2) they completed the first patch and fixed all of the above mentioned, but kept yoda grammar?
                3) None of the above, as I was giving a hypothetical example. Put words in someone else's mouth, please.
                Friedrich Psitalon
                Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammar

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                  3) None of the above, as I was giving a hypothetical example. Put words in someone else's mouth, please.
                  either you need to relax a bit or i need to blow up that smiley on the end of my post

Comment

I wrote a C program in intro CS where you check the first character of the word variable ("Archer," "Swordsman" etc.) and adjust the "a"/"an" accordingly.

It was very easy (like the second week's homework or something like that).
                    It's a very simple, but not a perfect method, since the article does not depend on the first letter but the first sound of the word.
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Yeah I noticed that too but haven't pursued a fix yet. I DID edit the entire Civ diplomacy text because there were typos, syntax errors, and grammatical gasps that were (in my opinion) inexcusable. But I read bad grammar all the time: on billboards, on TV, even in magazines and newspapers. We are not, unfortunately, a literary culture.

Nevertheless I expected more from a game whose target audience is, in general, educated and intelligent.

(You can download my diplomacy text fix via the thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=142029)
                      One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
                      "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                        It's a very simple, but not a perfect method, since the article does not depend on the first letter but the first sound of the word.
                        Too awesome. A Finn pointing out a flaw in a program written by an Indian to parse English grammar. I love Civ players.

Comment

Originally posted by Byelotsar
                          Too awesome. A Finn pointing out a flaw in a program written by an Indian to parse English grammar. I love Civ players.
                          Heartily agreed.
                          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Kassiopeia

You are entirely correct. I had forgotten "an historian".

However, most other native English speakers would do the same!

Prof. Vorthys

Comment

"Your Modern Armour has been destroyed by a Historian."

Give me spearman-defeats-tank any day

Comment

Working...
                              X