X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 & Civ4

I'm able to run Civ4 under Win98SE
    But i've a very poor performance...

Are there other peeps running this game under Win98... ?

And will be in the nearest future maybe a patch to fix this... ?

(I had once the same issue with Doom3.... but it was easely
    fixed by changing some things with a hexeditor)

Thanks...

Well, Windows 98 isn't really designed to support games liket Civ IV. My advice; update your OS to Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    Greetz, Ramses

Comment

Yes it does run on my win98 computer as, I would say that the performance could be better, but I doubt if I install an OS that isn't actually designed for games or one that's so much hardware demanding and has this activiation crap would help.

I think what really counts are the hardware components. My system otherwise meets the minimum requirements, except the 32MB RAM of my graphic card. I think I get some additional RAM and my problem should be fixed and if not it will fix some other problems.

However if your computer doesn't meet the reuirements in general and not just one or two then you should wonder that the performance is poor.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Windows 98 is not officially supported by Firaxis, which means it is extremely unlikely they will do anything to help you with it. Frankly, I'm surprised the game will run at all with Win98.

If you want help from people at Apolyton, you'll have to post your specs so we have something to work with.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

Specs:
          P4 2.3 Ghz
          512 MB
          Radeon X800 SE (Catalyst driver 5-9)
          SB Audigy

Comment

You have these specs and you running on Win98??????

Make you a gift and go buy WinXP.... You have a good system.

Why do you keep running on Win98&??????

see ya

Originally posted by BigStone
            Thanks for the replies...

Specs:
            P4 2.3 Ghz
            512 MB
            Radeon X800 SE (Catalyst driver 5-9)
            SB Audigy
            bleh

Comment

In your earlier post you implied the "activation crap" might be keeping you from using WinXP. Let me assure you, it is nothing to worry about. "Activation" and registration are totally different, and you are NOT required to register. Activating does not identify you, your location (other than your country), or your computer IN ANY WAY.

So, do yourself a favor and check out WinXP, before Vista comes and Win 98 will be completely unsupported.

Comment

Your computer certainly can handle Win2000 or XP if you have the money to upgrade. Beyond that, all I can really say is to make sure you have all the latest drivers and whatnot. I haven't worked with Win98 in years

Comment

Why do you keep running on Win98&??????

Believe me... but i'm not happy running W98
                  But i can't install XP on my system.
                  It has something to do with a (unintentional installed) RAID controller.....
                  And i can't get that goddammed thing removed from my comp.

So for now ,unless i buy another HD, i'm sticked to W98...

Comment

Lol! I had a similar problem with my Sound Card. I used to have a Maxi Studio ISIS XL(In 2001 this card cost me 350$bucks). But It was not working in WinXP, and the problem was Hardware. The company told us that they will never be a driver for WinXP....

It was a good recording card.... but Jesus, making unable a sound card to work in WinXP.. make me crazy!!! So when I was finally over with this sound card I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy and switched to WinXP.

Good luck with Civ4....

See ya

Believe me... but i'm not happy running W98
                    But i can't install XP on my system.
                    It has something to do with a (unintentional installed) RAID controller.....
                    And i can't get that goddammed thing removed from my comp.

So for now ,unless i buy another HD, i'm sticked to W98...
                    bleh

Comment

Re: Win98 & Civ4

And will be in the nearest future maybe a patch to fix this... ?
                      Probably not since the official requirement is Win2k or later.
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Nailfoot
                        In your earlier post you implied the "activation crap" might be keeping you from using WinXP. Let me assure you, it is nothing to worry about. "Activation" and registration are totally different, and you are NOT required to register. Activating does not identify you, your location (other than your country), or your computer IN ANY WAY.
                        So you are saying that activation, is a good thing? So if it is then you can explain me why a piece of software like Civ4 doesn't require activation in order to fight piracy. I mean the world is full of pirates for instance everyone who has Civ4 installed on his computer is guilty of piracy, because Civ4 is there. Of course as every accused everyone who has installed the game can prove that he is not guilty of being a pirate, by using the activation button.

Probably not since the official requirement is Win2k or later.
                        Probably there will be a patch that fixes the slowness, because I doubt that it is, because of the OS. In fact it is rediculous that there are a lot of people whose computers exceed the minimum requirements by far and can't play the game that comes out of the box. Whereas my Win98 computer does do the job fairly well. Of course it is slow, I hear the harddrive, but that problem is solved by some extra memory and not by an OS that needs extra memory, then I could buy a new computer. But appart from the slowness no crashes after complete installation, no graphic problems, except all the bugs that seem to appear on the target OSses as well.

One thing that helps to accelrate the game is to reduce the graphic settings, that can be done from the graphic tab of the options screen.

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

So you are saying that activation, is a good thing? So if it is then you can explain me why a piece of software like Civ4 doesn't require activation in order to fight piracy. I mean the world is full of pirates for instance everyone who has Civ4 installed on his computer is guilty of piracy, because Civ4 is there. Of course as every accused everyone who has installed the game can prove that he is not guilty of being a pirate, by using the activation button.

-Martin
                          Oh come on. I did NOT say activation was a good thing. READ my post and stop assuming! Activation also does NOTHING to stop the real pirates, only the "casual" pirate. And what the flop does this have to do with Civ4 Activation? Even if Civ4 made you "activate" it, it would not stop the pirates who pirate software for nothing but the challenge.

Dude.

Comment

I did NOT say activation was a good thing.
                            Then I guess you meant activation was acceptable, at least for a piece of software called Windows XP.

READ my post and stop assuming! Activation also does NOTHING to stop the real pirates, only the "casual" pirate. And what the flop does this have to do with Civ4 Activation? Even if Civ4 made you "activate" it, it would not stop the pirates who pirate software for nothing but the challenge.
                            Well, I have to guess again, but it looks like you think that it is rediculous (and by the way it is) or absurd or are even upset about the idea that a piece of software called Civilization 4 could come with activiation. By the way I could have used any other piece of software for my analogy like Paint Shop Pro, MS Office, Matlab or Refference Manager. However in all case and let's stick to my example the consequence is that activation isn't acceptable. Especially considering that real pirates don't use the activation button but the activation crack as you pointed out in your own words.

In fact if you accept activation as a ligimitate way to protect software then you as costumer are well not accused of being a pirate, but you are a pirate as long as you don't activate your product, if you aren't a pirate what do you have to lose. That is the assumption that the accused is guilty until it is proven that he is not guilty.

And in that case it is up to you to prove that you are not guilty instead that Microsoft has to prove that you are guilty. And if you have no internet access, well then bad luck for. And that was more likely in 2001 than today.

So my question why should I accept rules for Windows XP you would never accept in a courtroom?

And by the way I don't know what Microsoft records of my data, but at least they have to record an identifier of my OS, otherwise the whole activation stuff is pointless. But for that that they just record an OS licence ID I have just their word, and why should I trust a company that kills it concurrents not because it has the better product, but because it is OS monopolist.

And another by the way as far as I know the only reason for activation is preventing piracy, I have no clue what else it could be good for.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                            X