AI building "obsolete" wonders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI building "obsolete" wonders?

I've been playing some games where I've tinkered with technology rates, and then played an Industrious civ to experiment with tech and wonders.

A lot of wonders will state "Obsolete with XXX" and a lot of techs will tell you "Obsoletes XXX". If you haven't built said wonder or improvement by the time you research the tech that obsoletes it, you can no longer build it.

This sounds to me like that is the intended behavior. After all, it's obsolete, why bother? You won't get score points for the "missing" wonders though.

However, the AI is happily able to chug out every wonder I have skipped and obsoleted through tech. Researching Calendar obsoletes Stonehenge, but if Stonehenge has not been built by the player, you can no longer build it. However, 40 turns later, "XXX has completed Stonehenge!" pops up, and voila!, it's there in their city.

Does obsoleting something only obsolete it for YOUR civ? Is that really the intended behavior?

Obsolete only for your civilizaiton.
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Yeah, when it becomes obsolete through research its just for you. I mean it wouldn't make sense for it to obsolete it for everyone just because you know a tech. The AI might even hold off researching the tech while they finish the wonder, I know I would. So yes, I think this is the intended behavior.
      "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I see... so then there is actually an advantage in making sure you don't outrun yourself in the tech race That definitely adds another layer of strategy to the whole shooting match. Weighing whether it's worth it to try to outbuild the AI on a wonder that you know will help them significantly, or advancing in your own tech...

Comment

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
          Yeah, when it becomes obsolete through research its just for you. I mean it wouldn't make sense for it to obsolete it for everyone just because you know a tech. The AI might even hold off researching the tech while they finish the wonder, I know I would. So yes, I think this is the intended behavior.
          Wow, I didn't know it. It became obsolete for all civs with previous Civilization games.

This does indeed change strategy - I used to run to Calendar very fast after AI built Stonehenge to make sure it becomes obsolete for them - but apparently it is not the case. Interesting.
          The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
          - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
            Wow, I didn't know it. It became obsolete for all civs with previous Civilization games.
            IIRC this practice ended in Civ III. I tried to beeline to techs to cancel other civs wonders only to find out they were still in effect.
            "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus

This does indeed change strategy - I used to run to Calendar very fast after AI built Stonehenge to make sure it becomes obsolete for them - but apparently it is not the case. Interesting.
              Give them the Calendar tech.

Comment

Originally posted by netWilk

Give them the Calendar tech.
                Interesting idea - see if the AI is clever enough not to accept!
                "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

If it is a gift, they have no choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X