RE: Video Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Video Card

Just loaded Civ IV and apparently having a problem with my graphics card. I have read here that the background will be black without a card that has T & L capability (not that I know what that is).

I have an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller. I am assuming that is the problem.

I am worried that my PC will not take the newer graphics card. It is a Dell Dimension 4600C. Does anybody knowledgeable have any assistance?

Basicly, no Intel integrated graphics chip is going to work with this and any other new game. There is a guide here to see which cards may or may not work: http://civilization4.net/3/177/

Comment

Does that mean that I cannot run the game at all? Can I upgrade to another graphics card?
      BTW, thanks for the prompt reply.

Comment

You can upgrade to a new graphics card... but you have to disable the integrated video card, I'm guessing.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Since the Intel controllers are all integrated, you'd simply need to purchase another graphics card for your AGP slot (I assume you have one ). GeForce 6600s are a good deal pricewise these days. A used GeForce 5700 or better is also good, depending in your budget.

Lacking T&L will cause Civ4 not to run. Some games work around this, but on that graphics hardware, they turn into a slideshow.

Comment

It doesnt look like it. I'm afraid you paid heavily for the small form factor of the 4600c.

At best you will have a 64Mb GeForce4 MX which wont run dx9 (according to the review below from hardware central).

One reason is that Dell's $70 Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 adapter -- the only alternative on the company's Web site; the full-size AGP cards available for the regular Dimension 4600 won't fit -- is stuck at the same DirectX 7 level as the built-in 865G graphics. It roughly doubles the 865G's score in Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament 2003 benchmarks, but neither choice will run the latest DirectX 8 or tomorrow's DirectX 9 games
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ouch, missed the fact that is was one of the small form-factor dells. I've seen GeForce 5200s in small form factor though, but those were Optilex GX270 machines...

Comment

Damn. Still only have a Geforce 2 Ultra. Haven't needed a new one because I never play any 3d games... but now Civilization is going 3d.... I'll be an upgrade slave!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                  At best you will have a 64Mb GeForce4 MX which wont run dx9 (according to the review below from hardware central).
                  I don't think that's accurate. You can run DirectX 9.0 on a lot of graphics cards, but they won't support all of the features of DirectX 9.0 like pixel shaders. A GeForce4 MX is very similar to the GeForce2 and should meet the requirements of the game (T&L). I suggest you investigate further.

Originally posted by Dracon II
                  Damn. Still only have a Geforce 2 Ultra. Haven't needed a new one because I never play any 3d games...
                  I think this card should be able to run the game as it has T&L as well. Again, don't rely solely on me, but don't assume you have to buy a new card either.

Comment

Originally posted by sophist

I don't think that's accurate. You can run DirectX 9.0 on a lot of graphics cards, but they won't support all of the features of DirectX 9.0 like pixel shaders. A GeForce4 MX is very similar to the GeForce2 and should meet the requirements of the game (T&L). I suggest you investigate further.
                    Yes, according to the VC thread http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=141405 , the GeForce4 MX does support T&L. Also from that thread, the intel integrated graphics may also work. The 4600c uses the Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 (Springdale G) which may support some T&L.

I think this card should be able to run the game as it has T&L as well. Again, don't rely solely on me, but don't assume you have to buy a new card either.
                    That was more my point previously, except that the 4600c has no VC upgrades if it has the GeForce4 MX.

I think we need more info but it looks like this one may be right on the knife edge.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

It's amazing what you can do if you read the first post again :duh:

OK, Remulak has the 865G chipset which from what I can find does not have hardware T&L. So civ4 wont work.

But, now we know he might upgrade to the GeForce4 MX and it might work depending on the actual dell upgrade.

Comment

I found a couple of threads that are interesting

So you should be able to upgrade the VC but watch out for overheating.

Comment

Well, it looks like I have some work to do. This game just got a little more expensive. I was hesitant on getting the 4600C, but needed a small profile for my work area.

Thanks to all for your kind assistance. I just hope that the game is worth all this.

Comment

Have gone on Dell's forum and there are more than a few questions regarding upgrading video cards from CIV IV buyers. .

Comment

The 6200 low-profile card from asus seems like a workable, abliet ugly, solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X