Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ4 hidden secrets (not cheats... secrets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a resource is in your cultural borders, has transportation attached, and is appropriately improved, you will get that resource. It does not need to be worked.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
      In order to discover a resource, you need to be working the tile.
      Are you sure? It's been noted several times that simply discovering the tech ( and being in line-of-sight) will disclose resources.

In other words, just mining a hill in order to get a magic source of iron won't cut it. So mining hills all over the map is a waste of time.
      Again, I have to ask for clarification. It's been understood that a resource needs to be whithin your cultural borders, have an improvement, and have a trade route to provide to your civ. Nothing was ever mentioned about working the tile. That would almost seem impossible to do, get all your cities close enough to resources to work them all.

And, seeing how almost none of the resources are disclosed at the begining of the game, it seems almost ludicrous to think that you could place your cities in such stratiegic places that future developments pop-up near them.

Where did you get this?

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah

Are you sure? It's been noted several times that simply discovering the tech ( and being in line-of-sight) will disclose resources.
        Alva was talking about something else: long after discovery of the tech, you still have a chance to discover new sources of e.g. iron, gems, gold,... all the 'mine' resources. It's in the description of a mine, if you want to look it up.

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by duodecimal
          If a resource is in your cultural borders, has transportation attached, and is appropriately improved, you will get that resource. It does not need to be worked.
          You're misunderstanding him. He's referring to the fact that whenever you build a mine on a non-resource tile, there's a "small" chance to discover a new resource (i.e. it's generated.)

It's in the description of the mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DrrD

You're misunderstanding him. He's referring to the fact that whenever you build a mine on a non-resource tile, there's a "small" chance to discover a new resource (i.e. it's generated.)

It's in the description of the mine.

Well... what DrrD said

DeepO

Comment

You can airlift workers now, and artillery pieces. However, the units that are airlifted must start their turn in the city. If they move to the city, they cannot airlift until the next turn. They can only airlift to another city (which doesn't have to have an airport), and only one unit can airlift into a city per turn.

At the top of the flag for each unit or stack, there will be one or more small circles. The color of these circles represents the movement status: red=out of move points, green=full movement, yellow=some movement used but still has points remaining, and white=fortified. The number of circles is the same as the number of units in the stack, up to about 9 total.

A hydroelectric plant seems to be buildable if a city has a river anywhere within its city radius, but the Three Gorges Dam only seems to be buildable if the city is directly on the river.
              Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepO

Damn... I've been doing that for months now. I wish you told me earlier!

DeepO
                You're going to have to ask NYE about it, I borrowed the info from him.

So yeah, up until a couple of days ago, I was doing the same thing.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. This is really turning out quite well.

Tom P.

Comment

Could we request a sticky on this ?

Comment

Sticky? There are about 100 other threads in here, just as informative. Half the strat forum would need to be sticky then!

DeepO

Comment

it seems, to me, though, that this is a more broad-based cheat sheet, compared to the more in-depth strategy and use discussions that occur in the other threads. Like a quick "start here" card.

/shrug

Comment

We could use a topped 'start here' thread, I agree with you there. However, for that the walkthrough by Sullla, or some of the previews are better starting points... this is the strat forum, where the focus lays on advanced strategies...

DeepO

Comment

Is this the wrong forum for this, then?

I thought about it and I decided it went with the "Education" part of this forum more than any of the others.

If you think it should be moved... please, by all means do so.

Thanks,
                            Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              However, just can chop forest anywhere and get the hammers from itt ( though less than when in your borders). Good for stealing some hammers from newly founded AI cities though.
                              Well, you can chop them anywhere but you only get hammers if they are within X tiles of your nearest city (where X is something like 6 or 7). Doesn't matter if its inside or outside your border, IIRC (oh, and if you chop within someone else's borders with whom you have an open borders treaty, you don't get the hammers)

Comment

Regardless of where it belongs, it's a much appreciated thread for those coming up to speed on the UI for Civ 4, whether things are in the manual or not. I'm still so excited that I haven't finished reading the manual, just want to have my fun now.

Before I play my second game and probably move up to Prince, I'll be scrutinizing the manual. The game tutorial was very good and of course civilopedia.

Comment

Working...
                                X