Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 4 Train Wreck!

Civ 4 Train Wreck!

Ok, all the other Civ games ran perfectly on my comp. Civ4 is temperamental.

More than 75% of the time NO videos work, this includes talking to other civs.

The sound is fine, although it sounds like the Lion King.

Once and a while my comp goes into stop motion. WHAT? Come on!

Unit animations don’t really work. They work sometimes. Most of the time they are teleporting around the map.

Also, you know… There isn’t all that much in this new release. I thought there would be more! It seems as if there are fewer units than civ2. I don’t know what is going on here, but this looks like CIV3-3D.

Oh, I do like unit upgrades, that was nice.

I’m running a 2.7G Intel 4, with 1G ram, Radeon 9800pro.

I'm running a AMD 64 3000, 1G RAM and a ATI 9800PRO and my game rung spotless.

Read some of the topped threads on this forum, there's some general advise in there which may help you out.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: Civ 4 Train Wreck!

Originally posted by Leeus
      Civ 4 Train Wreck!

Ok, all the other Civ games ran perfectly on my comp. Civ4 is temperamental.

More than 75% of the time NO videos work, this includes talking to other civs.

The sound is fine, although it sounds like the Lion King.

Once and a while my comp goes into stop motion. WHAT? Come on!

Unit animations don’t really work. They work sometimes. Most of the time they are teleporting around the map.

Also, you know… There isn’t all that much in this new release. I thought there would be more! It seems as if there are fewer units than civ2. I don’t know what is going on here, but this looks like CIV3-3D.

Oh, I do like unit upgrades, that was nice.

As alva said, there are a lot of minor things around here that can help. Update your drivers if you haven't already. Old drivers are very often a cause of problems.

If those are up to date, also make sure that you installed the DirectX version that came with Civ4. Firaxis has said that there are features included on the CD that are not in the downloadable versions of DirectX. If those don't work, again, do what alva said

Comment

I've done everything, and still there is a problem. The drivers and other things solved about 50% of the problem. But it's still there.

Comment

Does "everything" include Firaxis' version of DirectX? If not (or even if you did), try completely removing Civ4. Double check all of your drivers are up to date and make sure to say yes to DirectX when reinstalling Civ. Also make sure you restart your computer whenever prompted, to ensure all the files are properly installed

Edit: What, specifically, are the problems still remaining? There are a couple of known minor issues that will probably be patched when Firaxis gets the chance

Comment

Problems remaining....
            1) Videos and CiV interaction (large talking heads) screens don't work.
            2) Staccato screen. Everything is jerky and now I’m at the point where the game is slowing down sooooooo much it’s almost unplayable.
            3) The world map in the lower right hand corner is broken! It reaveals everything! Even areas where I haven’t been! How goofy! And no, I havn't traded for maps.
            4) Unit movements don’t work. Civs fly around the board.
            5) End turn sometimes takes repeated taping on.

Yes I’ve tried their direct x 2 times.

I’ve updated all my drivers. ALL of them. Not just the video card, but my motherboard, and sound card.

I just don’t think they play tested this. If they did, they need to fire someone.

btw- Alpha Centauri rocked and runs perfect.

Comment

Your GFX card is running in AGP mode, is it not?
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

AGP mode? It is a Radeon 9800.
                How can I tell?
                Last edited by Leeus; November 3, 2005, 09:12.

Comment

I just don�t think they play tested this. If they did, they need to fire someone.
                  Have you done any commercial software testing? I'd like to know the basis on which you are accusing people of gross incompetence sufficient to be a firing offense.

Comment

I've been involved with product launches. So yes. Things had to work before they went to the clients.

More importantly.... There are serious problems with this build. They should have tested this on many machines. This whole thing seems rushed.

Can you explain the problems that I am having?

How about the mini map in the right hand corner revealing a world that I’ve not explored? How about units just jumping about?

Right now I’m trying to play it. I’m in 1962. The game is so slow that it’s almost unplayable. Look above to see my comps. stats.

Comment

The mini-map problem sounds like something others do on purpose to get around the T&L problem: Going into world builder and disabling fog of war.
                      But for you to be having all these seemingly unrelated issues, it appears you may have spyware or some antivirus running in the background that affected the install.

Comment

Won't even start! It wants the "correct CD" even though the DVD I installed it from is in the drive. Absolute c**p.

Comment

Originally posted by CJB
                          Won't even start! It wants the "correct CD" even though the DVD I installed it from is in the drive. Absolute c**p.
                          It seems silly and you probably already tried it, but restart and try running it again. I had that issue with the CD version initially and a restart fixed it. I never really figured out what the problem was

Comment

Tried it. Rang tech support who couldn't help (but off the record were scathing about the number of problems they've had).

Uninstalled, reinstalled... once I try to start Civ my machine no longer recognises my CD drive.

Given up for now, it's friday night, surfing the interweb with a glass of wine and smoke now. I suspect I'll be returning the game tomorrow.

Comment

You seem to be using CD and DVD interchangeably. You have the DVD rather than the 2 CD version, correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X