Simple question about trading resources with other civs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question about trading resources with other civs

When you go to trade, and you see the list of resources you have available to trade, is that a list of EXCESS resources? For example, if i trade away a Copper (1), does that mean i no longer have copper?

And is it dumb to trade my resources for 4-7 gold per turn, or is that way undervalued?

Re: Simple question about trading resources with other civs

Originally posted by stormwriter
    When you go to trade, and you see the list of resources you have available to trade, is that a list of EXCESS resources? For example, if i trade away a Copper (1), does that mean i no longer have copper?

And is it dumb to trade my resources for 4-7 gold per turn, or is that way undervalued?
    1 - I believe anything in the trade screnn listed as one is your one and only, and you do lose it if you trade it. I learned that the hard way. Trade away my one and only coal. All my workers stopped making railroads.

2 - In my opinion, it depends on what it worth to you. I have traded away resources for less because I needed the cash. But for a better idea of valus, shop it around and see what you get offered. That might be all you get, because that is all they can afford. Maybe another civ will offer more.

Comment

Oh s**t! I've been trading lots of that stuff away! haha. I'm glad i asked that question. Holy cow.

Comment

They were talking about this in the "Transport Networks Defined" thread.

Here is what one person said:

"In the diplo screen, The numbers by the AI's resources are "extras." But the numbers by your resources are the true number you have (i.e. 1=no extras). This is confusing, but I prefer that I gain the ability to trade away my only resource if I really need to. Say all my cities had theaters, and I knew that a dye would give me +2 happy faces (1 for the dye, one for the theater+dye bonus). It would definitely be worth trading my only silk for someone else's extra dye."

Comment

I can confirm that ALL available resources are listed in the trading window, including the ones you may be using. I also learned the hard way when I noted that I had no railroads and England was importing my coal.

I just cancelled the trade, as it had been going on for 30 turns or more (I think you safely can cancel after either 10 or 20 turns).
          XP SP2; 1280MB w/3200MB virtual memory
          AMD Athlon 1700+; 500W power, 2HD's
          Radeon 9600pro 256MB (Dec 2005 Catalyst)
          SoundBlaster X-Fi (8.8.05 driver)

Comment

This confuses me, because, I read in the manual that the number listed was the total (not extra). Yet, several times now, I've traded my last resource away, only to find that my cities still benefit from the resource (still shows up in the city status screen).

Has anyone else noticed this?

H

Comment

Originally posted by stormwriter
              "In the diplo screen, The numbers by the AI's resources are "extras." But the numbers by your resources are the true number you have (i.e. 1=no extras). This is confusing, but I prefer that I gain the ability to trade away my only resource if I really need to."
              I'd like the opportunity to trade away my only one also, but I'd also like the AI to be able to do that as well. Seems asymmetrical.

Question: what about multiplayer? Does this mean that you cannot ask for the last source of a particular resource, but it can be offered? That's assuming that both parties to a negotiation in multiplayer see similar screens as each other and single player.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurin
                This confuses me, because, I read in the manual that the number listed was the total (not extra). Yet, several times now, I've traded my last resource away, only to find that my cities still benefit from the resource (still shows up in the city status screen).

Has anyone else noticed this?

H
                I have. I think it's a bug.
                "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

*wrong thread*
                  "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

I have traded all of mine and did not lose anything. the manual says you need to have shared borders with your neighbors to get the full effect.

Comment

To make sure, I usually hit "Care to Negotiate?" and click off the resource they want. When it goes back to my column of things I can trade, then it will say if I have more than one or not. If so, I click it back onto the bargaining table and do the trade.

Comment

There's definitely some sort of bug here. I had 2 gold resources (none traded), and the AI offered a trade for it, but it said (1) in the trade window. About 10 seconds after the trade, another AI player offered to trade for the OTHER (my last) gold resource so I know i'm not crazy, this happened.
                        Last edited by krytonix; November 2, 2005, 19:56.

Comment

krytonix, if you have two gold resources then you can trade both, no? what's the bug?
                          "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to show that the (1) in the trade window of the first trade should have been (2), as proven by the fact that I was able to trade the resource again after trading it the first time. This is strange because most people agree that the diplomacy window shows you all of your resources, not just your extra "unused" ones.

Comment

I think the complaint is that it says Gold(1) and we're supposed to know that means we have TWO gold?

In the real world, if i have Kid(1), that means i have ONE kid. Not TWO.

Comment

Working...
                              X