Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this game work out off the box

MasterDave posted the following:

Ive posted about a bug in the diplomacy AI myself, and I've seen some graphics glitches (that go away for a while when you restart the game), but I would hardly call the release an "incredible failure".
    First of: this game seems to be the best civ installment ever, but it does crash every ten minutes or so.

So the question is: Does this game work out off the box for you?
    Yes
    52.27%
    No
    47.73%
    Somebody told me I should get a signature.

In general: yep, once I thought of updating my drivers.
    Slow at times (minimum requirements on the portable), but it works.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Yeah, it works very well. Only have had a minor issue with the tutorial getting "stuck" and trying to get direct ip multiplayer to work with more than 2 people. I have not had a single crash! It is much more stable than Civ3 was at release.
      Jacob's Law "To err is human: to blame it on someone else is even more human."

Comment

Works perfectly.

No crashes, no slowdowns.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Ran it right out of the box and it continues to run without any problems whatsoever. And I'm not even Irish.

Comment

No problems. Good performance, no graphical glitches, no crashes. Works perfectly.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes.

I had two issues, but they were not the game's fault. I had a crash during installation... fixed by clearing out my temp folder. No biggie (it WAS a biggie at the time, of course). I also had to update my video driver.

Since then, no problems.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I followed the advice in the readme file to defrag my HD. While I waited I went to a friend to show him "My Precious". It installed on his computer, but when we started it a blue screen showed up It disappeared after a few second and a lot of frantic clicking and showed the sunrise. But no menu. And nothing more happened. So I went home and tried it on my laptop. It went better but the intro video had stuttering sound. I was beginning to think that my computer was to slow. And when I started a game, there was only black tiles on the map. Only thing I could see was the units and the special resources and huts. So I guess it wasn't enough with 512MB RAM between the system and the graphics

I think I saw somewhere that minimum requirements are 512 MB on winXP, but only 256 MB on win2k?!?
                Maybe I need to install win2k
                Unless that d**n T+L people talk about is a requirement, then I'm just good and well f**ked

HP Pavilion ze2000
                1.3 GHz Intel Celeron M
                512MB RAM (Shared with Graphics)
                Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics kontroller
                64MB Graphics RAM (Shared with RAM)
                I'm not drunk, I'm special

Comment

T&L is a requirement, and that Intel graphics craptroller doesn't have it.

Comment

I installed the game on my laptop, work computer and home computer and had no problems on any of them.

Comment

works perfectly
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by martin76

I think I saw somewhere that minimum requirements are 512 MB on winXP, but only 256 MB on win2k?!?
                        Maybe I need to install win2k
                        Unless that d**n T+L people talk about is a requirement, then I'm just good and well f**ked
                        Win2K is a business OS, its not designed in the way XP is to run applications such as games, you'll probably create more problems than you solve.
                        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          T&L is a requirement, and that Intel graphics craptroller doesn't have it.
                          Not the fault of Intel though, new software should be programmed to work with the hardware available, hardware makers shouldn't be having to anticipate half finished software coming out.

Comment

By the same logic, you could want new software to work on a Voodoo2 card. If you buy hardware that does not have many capabilities, then it's your problem when you can't run that software.

Comment

I agree, but some hardware is more widespread than other hardware, i'd expect Civ 2 to run a bit swish on a voodoo though

Comment

Working...
                              X